Author Topic: Baptism of William Claricoates Ayton - Middlesbrough 1882?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of William Claricoates Ayton - Middlesbrough 1882?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 August 16 08:57 BST (UK) »
Yes I could not see anything else on BMD as I said it was just a possibility this might be his mother .certificates needed I'm afraid  :)
Rosie

Offline lemonbarley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
Just a short update....

I finally got a copy of William's birth certificate which has been quite interesting..

William Claricoates Ayton : born 8th. November, 1882 at 15 Albert Mews, Middlesbrough.

Father : Joshua Ayton, Engine Fitter.

Mother : Ellen Elizabeth Ayton, formerly Robinson.

So, it looks like the census record for 1891 was correct, (William and his mother living at 13 Albert Mews). I'm not sure what happened to Joshua but it looks like he and Ellen got married. There is a marriage record for the 3rd. quarter of 1882 at Middlesbrough.

I haven't been able to find a birth record for Ellen yet. I'm still not sure if her first name was definitely Jessie or if she just adopted the name in later life for some reason.

Do you think the marriage record would be the best way to find out more about Ellen and Joshua's families? There is a new library and family history centre opening soon in South Shields so I might be able to search for a burial record for Jessie/Ellen which might shed some light on her date of birth etc.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi that's good you got the birth certificate which gives you his parents .I had a quick look and there are several Ellen Elizabeth Robinson's around ..So I would try for the marriage to get the proper ages and father's names
Rosie