Author Topic: Irregular Marriage - Troqueer - 1810  (Read 1618 times)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Irregular Marriage - Troqueer - 1810
« on: Friday 12 August 16 00:39 BST (UK) »
In 1810, at Troqueer, my 3x great grandparents John Irvine (Irving) and Nancy Smith, were fined 10 shillings for an irregular marriage.  Could someone clarify an irregular marriage please?

Would this have something to do with them crossing the border to be married, or some other reason?

Thanks

Tom

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular Marriage - Troqueer - 1810
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 16 02:03 BST (UK) »
Here's an article link that that will help you re Irregular Marriages.  Perfectly legal up until about 1936-40. Obviously though, frowned on by the Church.

http://jsh.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/11/03/jsh.sht041.full

My great-grandfather's second marriage was a 1914 Irregular Marriage in Glasgow, Scotland. He was widowed with six young children when he re-married - a widow with one child of her own.

Theirs was a marriage by Declaration in front of two witnesses.  It was, a couple of days later, officially registered, as an Irregular Marriage and the record is in Scotland's People.

I'm thinking he must have been very unpopular with the rest of his family, as they were all very strict Baptists!    Not uncommon though for people to remarry quite soon after the loss of a first marriage partner - particularly if they had children in need of a caring mother, and/or a working father.

Added: - Pretty sure that people did get fined if they had crossed the border to marry. Mine were Scottish, so not applicable to them.  Poor old second wife though, taking on 6 extra youngsters! 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular Marriage - Troqueer - 1810
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

This is a great social history guide here www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

Monica

PS: There are many links for these types marriages if you google. Also further links here on RC http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/reflib-lexicon.php?letter=I&lang=EN&input_form=0 under 'Irregular Marriage'
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk