Author Topic: COWLING. -. Llanfair-ar-y-bryn  (Read 1943 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COWLING. -. Llanfair-ar-y-bryn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 16 17:43 BST (UK) »
The  1829 marriage could be the same Thomas.   However not a lot of info on the record - both recorded as single, of the parish and neither could write.  Jane's surname was written as Floid.   Witnesses were Phillip Norris and William ??? 

It does seem strange that the bride Jane was from Cornwall but appears to have married in Wales  and there were children born pre the 1829 marriage!

Kay

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 August 16 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kay.

I'm starting to think that the identity of Thomas is going to remain a mystery. With only the crude data of 1841, the questionable detail of 1851 and a marriage record that gives us so little, there is very little to work on. I can find nothing on the Cornwall OPC site to even closely match the personal details of Thomas and Jane in 1851. Unfortunately the death of Thomas was registered in March Q 1860 so I am denied the benefit of 1861.

Thomas and Joanna did have a son, Thomas, bapt 20 Jan 1805, Mary Tavy, but even allowing for the imprecision of stated census ages, I think the difference is too great to ignore.

Many thanks for your effort and interest.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 August 16 08:14 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Anc with Thomas and Jane Cowling which lists Jane with the surname Davies.   As the tree owner lists their son William with the birth date 21 Dec 1838 in Llanfair-ar-y-bryn Jane's maiden name may have come from William's birth cert??

Kay

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 August 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
I have seen the Cowling/Davies connection repeated on several trees on Rootsweb World connect but no details of the marriage - just a vague Cornwall circa 1823. Nothing shows up on the Cornwall OPC site. One tree shows William as William Floyd Cowling born 21 Dec 1838. The birth of a William Cowling was registered in Llandovery in March 1939 which supports your birth certificate theory.

Another tree gives the death of Thomas as 20 March 1860, with a calculated year of birth as 1802. IF this is anything like correct it does allow for Thomas Cowling(Mary Tavy 1805) son of Thomas to theoretically come into the reckoning. A father /son link seems more likely than some more remote relationship.

If he survived, Thomas would have been no more than 2 when the family moved to Wales. Perhaps, in later life hearing stories of the life of his father in St Agnes he assumed that this was where he was born. The details of 1841 are just about within tolerable limits but I have no explanation for his age recorded in 1851.

The first three children of Thomas and Jane were named Thomas, Jane and Philip. Philip was the name shared by the grandfather and brother of Thomas of Mary Tavy. It seems to me that this relatively uncommon name would more likely have been chosen from family precedent rather than randomly , particularly so early in the marriage. Later children carried the names of paternal and maternal grandmothers.

All this is highly speculative and I am aware of flaws in the rationale but I feel, on balance, that the younger Thomas was Thomas, bapt 20 Jan 1805, Mary Tavy, son of Thomas and Joanna. I don't think I'm likely to get any closer than that and, subject to any observation you may have, will record it as "possible"