Author Topic: Angel Street Manchester.  (Read 4566 times)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Angel Street Manchester.
« on: Friday 12 August 16 14:37 BST (UK) »
My ancestors Thomas Greenwood and Bridget Ward got married in 1846 and their address on their marriage certificate is given as 30 Angel Street.  I looked it up on a google map of Manchester, and Angel Street runs alongside a park area that used to be the notorious slum Angel Meadows.

Thomas Greenwood is described on his marriage certificate as a Marine Store Keeper, which I never understood until today reading something about Angel Meadows, where it said that there were a lot of Marine Stores in Angel Meadows, and it means a rag and bone man.

On the 1851 census, Thomas and Bridget are living with Bridget's younger brother and sister, and their two sons.  Bridget was born in Ireland.

The 1951 census doesn't make them sound overcrowded or living in the kind of many to a room slum conditions you associate with the descriptions of Angel Meadows.

Does anyone know anything about this area?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Street Manchester.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
 A Marine Store Dealer was a licensed broker who bought and sold used cordage, bunting, rags, timber, metal and other general waste materials. He usually sorted the purchased waste by kind, grade etc. He also repaired and mended sacks etc. Marine Store Dealers were governed by an Act of Parliament 1st. Geo. IV. sec.16 cap.75. Which enacted that every marine-store-dealer shall have his name inserted in legible characters over his shop-door and shall also keep a book in which he shall insert the name and address of any person from whom he shall buy any article.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
You can see Angel Street on the 1850 Town Plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/384430/399019/13/100873 it appears to be a main road with substantial buildings on each side, not back to backs. (you will have to change the zoom level)

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census Angel Street is mainly lodging houses and lock up shops.

Stan

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 16 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

If you search for Angel Meadow you can find several references to the area in academic or historical papers and both fiction and non-fiction.
In this article here you can read about Dean Kirby who recently brought out a book about his family connection.
I did hear the archaeologist speak about the discoveries made - it was very interesting.

Regards
Heywood

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census doesn't make them sound overcrowded or living in the kind of many to a room slum conditions you associate with the descriptions of Angel Meadows.

Angel Street was not in Angel Meadows it was on the edge. If you look at the map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/384474/399116/13/100873 you can see Angel Meadows and the back to back houses.

Stan

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
The church situated on Angel St was dedicated to  St. Michael and All Angels.
The area was quite rural  and the congregation was quite"well to do ",arriving in carriages  so the church was known as a "carriage church".
Angel St. houses were quite substantial and of a fair size but as the area declined they were split into multiple occupancy or lodging houses.
Arkwright built a mill near Crown Square at the end of Angel St and that is probably when the many back to back houses were built ,to house the workers. Incidentally "back to back " means just that ie no back doors , the houses shared an internal wall which meant there was no back exit, just  a front door.
  People  confuse terraced houses which do have back exits  with back to back  houses.
A lovely book "Sunrise to Sunset" by Mary Bertenshaw is a vivid account of the area.
Probably only available  at The central Library local history section.
The graveyard of St. Michael`s  adjoins the flagged area where 40,000 people were buried, sadly the  York stone flags have gone  and all is grassed over.A few   gravestones from St. Michael`s remain near the end of Angel St.  two gateposts mark the entrance to the church yard near Crown Square.
An absolutely fascinating area  and it bugs me that my family was from just out of the area, how interesting if they had been. they were from Worth St, Copper St,Montague St and Hancock St.
Lots of photographs on Manchester Council Photographic archives.
There was an episode of "Time Team"   but sadly they concentrated on the larger houses on angel St and completely missed out the crowded courts where there was no running water (except down the walls!)two or three toilets for many many people . and pigs dwelling there too.
Nineteen people lived in a house in John St , which had a cellar, one ground floor room ,one bedroom and an attic . No water or sanitation.John St was practically under the viaduct of the Lancs and Yorks railway  after the lines were added to.  Not all were of one family.                                                Viktoria.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
The area was quite rural  and the congregation was quite"well to do ",arriving in carriages  so the church was known as a "carriage church".
Angel St. houses were quite substantial and of a fair size but as the area declined they were split into multiple occupancy or lodging houses.
Arkwright built a mill near Crown Square at the end of Angel St and that is probably when the many back to back houses were built ,to house the workers. Incidentally "back to back " means just that ie no back doors , the houses shared an internal wall which meant there was no back exit, just  a front door.
  People  confuse terraced houses which do have back exits  with back to back  houses.
A lovely book "Sunrise to Sunset" by Mary Bertenshaw is a vivid account of the area.
Probably only available  at The central Library local history section.
The graveyard of St. Michael`s  adjoins the flagged area where 40,000 people were buried, sadly the  York stone flags have gone  and all is grassed over.A few   gravestones from St. Michael`s remain near the end of Angel St.  two gateposts mark the entrance to the church yard near Crown Square.
An absolutely fascinating area  and it bugs me that my family was from just out of the area, how interesting if they had been. they were from Worth St, Copper St,Montague St and Hancock St.
Lots of photographs on Manchester Council Photographic archives.
There was an episode of "Time Team"   but sadly they concentrated on the larger houses on angel St and completely missed out the crowded courts where there was no running water (except down the walls!)two or three toilets for many many people . and pigs dwelling there too.
Nineteen people lived in a house in John St , which had a cellar, one ground floor room ,one bedroom and an attic . No water or sanitation.John St was practically under the viaduct of the Lancs and Yorks railway  after the lines were added to.  Not all were of one family.                                                Viktoria.

Thanks.  That is a lot of research leads for me to try to follow up.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 16 10:58 BST (UK) »

I am not sure if my ancestors used that church.  They were married in 1846 a the church of St Mary, St Denys and St George, which I think later became Manchester cathedral, and this is where their son, my great grandfather, Hiram Greenwood was baptised on 25th October 1846.

Unfortunately I don't have a Census for this family when they were living in Angel Street at the time of their marriage in 1846, which often show the number of rooms a family is living in.  They only married in 1846 and the only census is for 1851, when they have moved to Clegg Court, Hulme, which lists the occupants as Thomas Greenwood age 32 Broker, Bridget Greenwood age 28, Hiram Greenwood age 4, James Greenwood age 3, and Bridget's younger siblings Betsy Ward age 23 and John Ward age 14, latter two born Ireland as was Bridget.  After the 1851 census, this whole family disappears from the records, although I have been able to trace Hiram, my great grandfather, who lived in Salford on the 1871 census, age 25, and then moved to the countryside outskirts of Manchester after his 3 year old first born daughter died in 1871.