Author Topic: Emmerline Musgrave b.1887 Barnsley in 1891 and 1901 census please  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
Re: Emmerline Musgrave b.1887 Barnsley in 1891 and 1901 census please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
Definitely on the scent!  Thank you Suzard!  I note that there was a Walter Chandler registered in the Barnsley district in 1912 with a mother whose maiden name was Richardson. Does he show up on the electoral roll with Alfred and Emily after 1933 by any chance?
There is also a record of twin Ashton boys born to a mother maiden name Musgrave in 1921 and more significantly, a sister whose birth was registered in the Barnsley area in June 1924. That would appear to rule out any connection between Emmeline and Alfred Ashton because Doris Chandler appears in the first quarter of 1924 with mother formerly Musgrave in the Doncaster area.
Can I ask for the detail of Alfred Chandler's birth place and age in the 1911 census?

Thanks again,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 August 16 20:57 BST (UK) »
the Ashton twin boys had their deaths registered same quarter as their births

on the electoral rolls 1946 there is a Doris with them and 1948 Doris, Mary and Maud

there is this marriage reg
Alfred Chandler
Emily Barrett
Jun qtr 1922
Barnsley
9c 1748
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 August 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
according to an online tree Alfred Chandler had children Mary, Leonard & Walter
There is also a birth 1917 of Albert who could possibly be the same family

Walter married Jessie Hogart
and 1934 electoral roll at 6 Chapel St Dearne were
Thomas Hoggart
Ann Liverton Hoggart
Ashley Hoggart
Jessie Chandler
Walter Chandler

by 1940 Walter & Jessie were at 12 Chapel St

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
Leonard Chandler b 14 Jun 1908 died 1995
married Florence Maud Proctor
Electoral roll
15 Marlboro Ave Thurnscoe
Thomas William Proctor
Susannah Proctor
Leonard Chandler
Thomas Atkins

1932 16 Chapel St (same st brother Walter lived on at different years)
Leonard Chandler

17 Marlboro Crescent
Leonard Chandler
Florence Maud Chandler
Clarence Chandler

Suz

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 August 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
The marriage in June qtr.1922 between Alfred Chandler and Emily Barrett took place in Doncaster registration district (not Barnsley).

The marriage is actually on FindMyPast:

Alfred Chandler 40 widower to Emily Barrett  34   widow, dau. of Henry Musgrave, miner

at Thurnscoe Parish Church on 15th May 1922 - witnesses Joel Whitford and Ada Whitford.

So, Emily supposedly married before to a Barrett but cannot for the life of me find such a marriage.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 August 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
As for Emmeline's marriage to Alfred Chandler . . . I believe that their daughter had a step brother called Arthur but I don't know his surname.

It looks as though he was James Arthur Musgrave, born 6 May 1920, died 1987 Rochdale.  Birth reg is Jun qtr 1920 Barnsley, mother's maiden name Musgrave.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 August 16 23:59 BST (UK) »
This is gradually taking shape! Thank you very much! The evidence from Find My Past is very helpful.
As there is no sign of a Musgrave - Barrett wedding it begs the question whether she might have been widowed twice and married Mr.Barrett under a different name. The chances are that he was a casualty of war.  Did she then revert to her maiden name to register the birth of an illegitimate child? It makes sense that her marriage to Alfred took place in the Doncaster district in light of the fact that that is where their children's births were registered. Mary Jane is my definite starting point.

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 August 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
The marriage in June qtr.1922 between Alfred Chandler and Emily Barrett took place in Doncaster registration district (not Barnsley).

So, Emily supposedly married before to a Barrett but cannot for the life of me find such a marriage.

Annette

Apologies - I'm getting muddled with reg districts -still led to Annette having a  a good find though !!

Suz

Suz