Author Topic: Samuel HALLAM b abt 1810 ?Stockport s/o John & Mary  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HALLAM b abt 1811 Stockport s/o John & Mary
« Reply #54 on: Monday 29 August 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
So he may well have been in New York in June 1846 having married in Manchester in April

The 30th at that time was a Cambridgeshire Regiment and there is no reason I know why he might have signed up but he following could explain why he was elusive...

Robbery by a Soldier. — The police are actively engaged in endeavouring to apprehend Samuel Hallum, of the 30th Regiment of Foot, who, it appears, had absconded from his regiment, having taken with him the sum of 70/., , the property of the paymaster
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HALLAM b abt 1810 ?Stockport s/o John & Mary
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
There is an image on one of the larger genealogy sites, it definitely says HALLMAN, only additional info is that he was born 23rd October, father of Stockport

There are multiple references to his younger brother, Ephraim, being born 11 March 1812. I think this rules out this christening (ie with a birth only 5 months before that of his brother) as the one that I am interested in.
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 22:33 BST (UK) »

Have double checked both baptisms, Samuel HALLMAN can definitely be ruled out. Ephraims baptism definitely says birth was March 11th baptized 12 April 1812
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HALLAM b 1811 Stockport s/o John & Mary
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
Found groom Samuel HALLUM bachelor of full age, candlewick manufacturer son of John HALLUM candlewick manufacturer married to Catharine SUMMERS at Manchester Collegiate Church 10 April 1846...

There's a likely Catherine SUMMERS, cotton worker aged '20 years' born Ireland living in Prestbury in the 1841 census. I've searched adjacent pages in this census but not found Samuel.

There is a death of a Catherine SUMMERS aged 8 years registered in the Heaton Norris subdistrict, Sep Q 1856 (don't have the cert so do not know the reporter). I've searched for a corresponding birth/christening but no success. Can you find a daughter to Samuel and Catherine?

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 24 September 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
Samuel is in the 1845 Stockport Directory: candlewick manufacturer Ridgeway La Mill, House Leigh St [Stockport]; brother Ephraim and his mother Mary as cotton spinners.

Interestingly, there are newspaper announcements (eg Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 17 May 1845) of the dissolution of the partnership of M and E Hallum cotton candlewick manufactureres of Stockport. This would be mother Mary and brother Ephraim.

In 1846 Ephraim, who had been a councillor, stood again as a candidate councillor for St Thomas' Ward but was not elected (but was re-elected in 1855). Maybe a whiff of scandal associated with the family?

It looks like the mid 1840s was an important time for these Hallams but I am unsure what was going on.

My 'take' is that Samuel got into some kind of trouble (something to do with his marriage or maybe he was the Samuel the soldier-thief), emigrated and changed his name. We'll probably not find out.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 24 September 16 18:01 BST (UK) »

I'd go with him getting into some sort of trouble. His mother never included him in her Will.

Unless he left, and they were not aware where he went.
It's quite a mystery, isn't it.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk