Author Topic: The Scott family of County Tyrone.  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Scott family of County Tyrone.
« on: Sunday 14 August 16 00:38 BST (UK) »
Robert Scott married to Anne McDonald on 19 April 1864 in Cappagh, Co Tyrone. The marriage entry names Robert's father as Alexander Scott.

I have been led to believe that a Robert Scott (born 21 Jan 1787 - died 2 Feb 1872) married to a lady named Ann and that they had children named Alexander, Jane, Guy, William & Mary Ann. The family lived in the Sixmilecross area.
I understand that daughter Jane married to a man named George Cunningham & that Mary Ann married to man named Zachariah Robinson.
If these Scott's feature within your family tree I would welcome contact please to compare notes to determine if this Robert & Ann Scott's son Alexander might be the man whom I am seeking.
Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Scott family of County Tyrone.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 16 09:47 BST (UK) »
Different people looking for the same family- since most of them seem to have gone to Canada then there might be far more information from records there unless you can find surviving church records in Tyrone.
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.ireland.tyr.general/2074.1.2/mb.ashx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's probably the best bet. Thank you.

Offline kathrynjoly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi: I recognize several of the names in your posting. Namely, Mary Ann Scott married to Zachariah Robinson (my g-g-grandparents) and Jane Scott married to George Cunningham. I have their parents as Robert Alexander Scott (1787-1872) and Ann ? (possibly Stuart) (1788-1858). I have Robert Alexander Scott's place of birth as SixMileCross, County Tyrone and his place of death as Williamsburg Township, Dundas County, ON. Feel free to get in touch if you think I can be of assistance. Kathryn

Offline kathrynjoly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Here is Robert Scott's death registration. The informant, Zachariah Robinson, is his son-in-law, married to Mary Ann Scott.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi: I recognize several of the names in your posting. Namely, Mary Ann Scott married to Zachariah Robinson (my g-g-grandparents) and Jane Scott married to George Cunningham. I have their parents as Robert Alexander Scott (1787-1872) and Ann ? (possibly Stuart) (1788-1858). I have Robert Alexander Scott's place of birth as SixMileCross, County Tyrone and his place of death as Williamsburg Township, Dundas County, ON. Feel free to get in touch if you think I can be of assistance. Kathryn
Hi Kathryn, perhaps your Scott knowledge might help me please.
I have ancestors named Lucy Palmer & Robert James Scott who married in Barrow In Furness before moving to live in Ireland. Their time in Ireland was quite short before emigrating to live in Canada.
The marriage certificate shows that the father of Robert James Scott was named Robert Scott.
Robert James Scott was born on 2nd January 1872 & was born in Sixmilecross, County Tyrone ~ his parents were Robert Scott & Ann McDonald. The father of Robert Scott was named Alexander Scott.
Does this info match up with your own Scott family info by any chance?
It's been a little while now since I was looking into this part of my tree but I found conflicting information regarding the Scott family of Sixmilecross which made it impossible for me to determine the true facts. It may have been the case that there was more than one branch of the family with the same or similar names which may have thrown me perhaps in the same area at the same time.
Any help would be met appreciated.

Offline kathrynjoly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi: I'm sure there is a connection as the same names repeat over and over within the family. My g-g-grandmother was Mary Ann Scott, who married Zachariah Robinson in 1852 in Dundas County, Ontario. She was born in 1831 in County Tyrone and died in 1891 in Dundas County, Ontario. Her father was Robert Alexander Scott (1787-1872) born at SixMileCross and died in Dundas County, Ontario. He was married to Ann ? (1788-1858) in Ireland. They were living in Canada by 1848, as their children all married in Canada beginning in 1848. A family history points out that Mary Ann was 10 years younger than her husband, Zachariah, and that she came to Canada as a young girl.

It is likely that the Scotts you mentioned and mine have a common ancestor. Names that repeat within the family are Robert, Alexander, Guy, William, Mary Ann, Jane. I have concentrated more on the Robinson side of my family and haven't spent too much time on the Scotts to date.

Offline Great Granny 3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 19 15:27 BST (UK) »
I am also searching for a Scott family born in Ireland.  Your listing that Robert Scott married Anne McDonald in 1864 is not my family although all the other names are correct for me.  The Robert and Ann Scott whose children were Alexander, Jane, Guy, William and Mary Ann are not correct for my family - I have the children's names as I found in the 1851 Census in Williamsburg, Dundas County, Ontario.  Guy is my direct line ancestor who married Mary Ann Marshall as per my great grandmother's death certificate.  I have yet to find a Marshall name to apply but Mary Ann Marshall Scott lived in St. Lawrence County, New York and in Star Lake, Otter Tail County, Minnesota.  Can you help me by verifying (if you can) the names and dates?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
I am also searching for a Scott family born in Ireland.  Your listing that Robert Scott married Anne McDonald in 1864 is not my family although all the other names are correct for me.  The Robert and Ann Scott whose children were Alexander, Jane, Guy, William and Mary Ann are not correct for my family - I have the children's names as I found in the 1851 Census in Williamsburg, Dundas County, Ontario.  Guy is my direct line ancestor who married Mary Ann Marshall as per my great grandmother's death certificate.  I have yet to find a Marshall name to apply but Mary Ann Marshall Scott lived in St. Lawrence County, New York and in Star Lake, Otter Tail County, Minnesota.  Can you help me by verifying (if you can) the names and dates?

Welcome to Rootschat but I'm puzzled by what names and dates you want help verifying. It sounds as though your Scott family were in Canada by at least 1851 but civil registration of births (as well as deaths & Catholic marriages) started in 1864 (non-Catholic marriages from 1845). If any of the family were born in Ireland before 1864 there will be no birth certificates and you'll have to depend on church records surviving (not all church records are online).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!