Author Topic: Meeting of "Bohemia Estate Gypsy & travelling family" descendents, all welcome  (Read 2980 times)

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
A MEETING FOR THE  DESCENDANTS OF THE GYPSY FAMILIES OF THE BOHEMIA ESTATES IN EASTWOOD LEIGH ON SEA ESSEX
16th OCTOBER 2016 (sunday) 12-5

ALL WELCOME. £1 ENTRY at THE CHURCH HALL :)
(please park at the church and walk back as parking is limited in the hall, less than 5 min walk)
St Laurence & All Saints Church
Junction of Aviation Way and Eastwoodbury Lane
Southend-on-Sea
SS2 6UN

PLEASE COME ALONG AND MEET UP WITH DISTANT RELATIVES, SHARE PHOTOGRAPHS AND MEMORIES, STORIES AND CONTACT DETAILS.

WE MEET ANNUALLY WITH LOTS OF LOVELY INTERESTING PEOPLE. MANY HAVE FOUND THEIR DISTANT LIVING RELATIONS. LOTS OF UNKNOWN PHOTOS HAVE BEEN NAMED ( & SHAMED). NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS, PHOTOS, CERTIFICATES, DOCUMENTS, MAPS, ETC  SHARED.

AN AFTERNOON OF ROCKERING WITH YA KIN :)

THIS IS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CONNECTIONS TO THE GYPSY'S WHO LIVED OR USED THE BOHEMIA ESTATES AS THEIR AITCHEN-TAN. THEIR ANCESTORS, THEIR DESCENDANTS AND ANYONE INTERESTED OR SHARING OF INFORMATION ON OUR ROMANY GYPSY ANCESTORS.

FAMILIES INCLUDE:
Allums, Bibby, Boswell, Buckley, Chillcott, Gumble, Lee, Livermore, Lambs, Loveridge, Pearce, Scarrott, Spencer, Shaw, Webb.

ATTENDING FAMILIES  with connections, include: so far - (names will be added daily)
Buckley, Bibby, Boswell, Shaw, Lamb, Pearce, Webb,
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting of "Bohemia Estate Gypsy & travelling family" descendents, all welcome
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
Looking forward to seeing everyone this sunday. great to be catching up with familiar faces and even greater to be meeting some new ones.
Our facebook event will display all photos from the day
Roll on Sunday :D
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting of "Bohemia Estate Gypsy & travelling family" descendents, all welcome
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 16 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all who attended. What a fantastic turn out we had. People from far and wide. New connections. Photos named and long lost descendants jelling. Just as it should be.
Till next year ...... Take care everyone. See you in 2017 :D
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

Offline Thermos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi I hope to come along this year.
My Grandad was George Witney & my Great Grandad was Walter Witney/Webb, his wife my Great Gandmother was Alice stone & they came to Little Totham & lived on the Totham Plains,
She married Walter Witney/Webb they travelled to Kent for Hop picking etc, & I know my dad has done some searching & she was related to the Stone's at Bohemian Estate Eastwood  Southend, or came or went there some of the time.
They settled here in Little Totham for the farm work & my dad still remembers they held on to alot of there traditions & didn't want to change, they never had water or electric connected to the little timber bungalow they built here & still cooked outside some of the time over a fire with a tripod & this was in the 1950's -1970's.
I'm very interested in my roots & know quite a lot about the Witney/Webb side I know they used both names. Depending on where they were?
But I have limited knowledge about the Stone Side, I know my dad remembers Alice talking about walking from Southend area to kent Hop picking but not much else. And I know after they lived on a small piece of land Just next to the Totham Common after her mother brought the plot & they got some old railway carriages they had as a base there, I know also my Great Grandad was Baptised in kent as Walter Webb but we have always been known as Witney's round here? & is also in his christening book, His mum was Mary Livermore, from(Bassingbourn, Royston, Melbourn,) Cambridge & Dad John Witney from Layer Breton, sometimes the Witney is spelt Whitney depends who was writing it (that still happens now). I know Mary's mother Sarah Ann Livermore who was also living at Bohemian Estate Eastwood when she past away in 1912. There is so much but I have little about the Romany Stone side so would be interested if you know anything thanks.

Offline FrancesD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have just joined after looking for information about John Bibby. I would be very interested in learning when the next annual meeting in St Laurence takes place.

I have family members buried in the churchyard.
Regards Frances (previously Bibby)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat

Assume you have already joined Romany & Traveller Family History Socirty?

http://rtfhs.org.uk/

Cheers!

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 March 17 17:13 GMT (UK) »
hello frances. welcome :D
the meeting will definitely be on again this year, watch this space.  ;)
is that john (jack) bibby (webb) that you mention or a different J.B?
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
SO CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! HERE WE GO AGAIN. HOW MANY YEARS NOW???
FIRST SUNDAY (1st) IN OCTOBER 2017
ANNUAL MEETING FOR ALL THE DESCENDANTS OF THE BOHEMIA ESTATE GYPSIES AND THEIR FAMILIES
Eastwoodbury Church Hall. 12-5pm All welcome. Our fees have increased this year due to hall hire fees and will now be £2.00 per person on the door (apologies)  with refreshments available for a donation and will include the usual yummy biscuits & cake lol. All proceeds from this will go to Bosom Pals this year which is our local breast screening unit at Southend Hospital x I hope this will be acceptable to all. Please do invite like minded family/friends/researchers etc. This is a local, friendly, family orientated event with the ethos of sharing, information/photos/stories/culture etc plus the odd eyebrow raising shocker usually found in local newspapers  ;) ;) Really hope to see some fellow researchers. after all, we are likely to all be related somewhere and we all have info thats helpful, even if we might think its not. Please come and name the unnamed, locate the aitchen tans, relocate the families and the ancestors . hope to see you all this sunday. share share share :) xxx
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 September 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello All
Well our annual meeting is booked ready and waiting.  ;D
Sunday 6th October 2019 from 12pm. Parking (except for those less abled) is at the church which is 5 minutes walk from the hall
Please invite any who you may think will benefit from meeting some possible new connections or even relations. Plus the churchyard is full of old travellers graves that may be of interest should you wish to have a walk around. :P
We have refreshments available during the day. This event is relaxed and informative, where we all bring our photos, certificates and paper trails along. Hoping to make a new find, share some info and make some interesting connections, plus plenty of rokkering & laughing, usually at own expense or our ancestors antics  ::) :D
All proceeds & donations go to the hire costs & what's left over goes to a local charity, (changed annually)
Looking forward to all those who can make it.  :-*
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St+Laurence+And+All+Saints+Church+Hall/@51.567079,0.679401,11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xdada379a8a26b5be!8m2!3d51.5670792!4d0.6794014?hl=en-GB
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby