Author Topic: Whom did Alexander Aitken marry?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Whom did Alexander Aitken marry?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 16 08:57 BST (UK) »
According to familysearch.org there are 3 marriages of an Alexander Aitken.  If your date of death (10 June, 1856) is correct, 2 of those marriages took place later.  The one remaining marriage is that of Alexander Aitken to Ann McIntosh in Banchory-Ternan on 5 October, 1852.  An initial check on Scotland's People shows no record of the marriage (which is before the 1855 date for 'official registration'), neither can I find his death.

I have found four marriages of Alexander Ai(t)kens between 1837 and 1852, including that one.
1837, May 14th. Contracted Alexander Aitken, widower, Blackhills, with Euphemia Lyell in Newmill, both in this parish, and after proclamation of marriage bans, and no objections offered, were married 30th Currt before witnesses. [Birse Parish Register] - no baptisms found of children to this couple;
Alexander Aiken, Labourer Woodside and Ann Morice there, both in this parish, signified their purpose of marriage by Mrs Alexr Rae, Elder, and being thrice proclaimed, they were married on the 1st Feby 1840 by the Revd Charles Gordon Rom Cath Clergyman. [Old Machar Parish Register] - no baptisms found of children to this couple;
Alexander Aitken, Stonedresser, Auchmull, Parish of Newhills, and Ann Cruickshank, residing at No 177 Barron Street, Woodside, in this parish, signified their purpose of marriage by Mr John Wight, elder, and being thrice proclaimed they were married on the 22d September 1848 by the Rev James R Sutherland, minr of Woodside Chapel. [Old Machar Parish Register] - 9 baptisms of children to Alexander Aitken and Ann Robertson Milne Cruickshank between 1853 and 1869 so this is not him;
1852. Alexander Aiken and Ann McIntosh both in this parish, after being regularly proclaimed, were married October the Fifth. [Banchory Ternan Parish Register] - no baptisms found of children to this couple.

Nor have I found a death of Ann Ai(t)ken, other surname McIntosh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whom did Alexander Aitken marry?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
I think the likely Ann McIntosh who married in 1852 was in 1851 Ann Mcintosh age 22 born Kincardine O'neill, Aberdeenshire working as a servant at the Manor House in Banchory Ternan, but I can't see her in 1861 at the moment

Kay