Author Topic: "The Cleggs of Burnley" - Study completed in 1999 - free to a deserving home!  (Read 2439 times)

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

Recently, at a car boot sale I came across a white ring-binder containing a 127 page study entitled "The Cleggs of Burnley", with a Copyright date of 1999 on the cover.  It appears to deal with the descendants of Edward Clegg, who's son was John Clegg, born 22nd May 1680 in Burnley.  It moves on to cover many descendants in America.

I know nothing more about the study, so cannot vouch for its accuracy - but I'm quite happy to pass it on, free of charge, to anyone who thinks they can make use of it.  I'll just ask for the postage to be paid - which I estimate to be £2.85.

If anyone thinks they might be interested - or wants further information, please PM me.

David

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cleggs of Burnley" - Study completed in 1999 - free to a deserving home!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
Have you considered donating it to the relevant family history society
http://www.lfhhs-pendleandburnley.org.uk/

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cleggs of Burnley" - Study completed in 1999 - free to a deserving home!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
Good point rosie99! 

I never thought of that - but it obviously makes sense.  Thanks for the link.

I'll not make any decision until I've contacted them and seen if they are interested.

David

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 16 08:05 BST (UK) »
If they don't want it I am quite sure someone on here will have Burnley 'Cleggs' - sadly I don't  ;D

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you thought of donating it to Burnley Library, they are always grateful for donations of documents, photo's etc., of the area. 
They have a family history dept and the staff are really great and helpful at offering advise etc., documents etc.,

I recently visited and they provided me with lots of info, some of which had come from people donating photo's and other things.
They have display cases, which they use to show about the history of the area and what collections they have.

I have regularly used their services and they always provide information etc., for free

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Cancan,

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll certainly bear it in mind, if I have no interest from other quarters.

David

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I'd go for Burnley Library - but they'd probably not be able to pay postage (Without the loose leaf folder it's be a lot cheaper?)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Austin2010

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 23 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have only just discovered this site whilst doing some family research. As a CLEGG myself, I am very interested in the handbook 'The Cleggs of Burnley' as I have just traced a direct ancestor to the Worsthorne area.
I do hope I am not too late! If you have passed this handbook on, would you recall to whom it went?
Many thanks!!