Author Topic: Tilliecanaghan Co Armagh  (Read 534 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Tilliecanaghan Co Armagh
« on: Monday 15 August 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Have found NLI RC Baptism records for some of my Lavelle ancestors - early 1800's in Armagh parish Co. Armagh.  Rechecking Poor Law Relief application in Scotland - one of them gave place of birth as Tilliecanaghan Co. Armagh.  Would this possibly be just a small "townland" in Armagh Parish - Could it be helpful in searching back further for elusive generations?
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tilliecanaghan Co Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
I see you had a thread on the name before
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=693934.0

Generally speaking knowing the townland is one of the most important keys to finding the correct family, as it leads to the correct parish etc.
In this case there may not be any records earlier than those you have already found, but at least you can anchor them to a very small area map wise.

I see the townland decided on in the other thread is in the RC parish of Creggan Lower.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
I'm just thinking could they have ment the Civil Parish of Tartaraghan which would be in the  RC parish of Loughgall and Tartaraghan http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0227 right next to Armagh RC parish

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 07:39 BST (UK) »
HI there Sinann,
I must be getting old - didn't remember at all that I had posted previously on this one - so thanks for the old link...(The rootschat system works well - it is I who sometimes forgets how to use it!!) So that gives me some other parishes to try ..... So many places.... so little time!!! lol.... Seriously - thank you very much for your comments - more searching for me to do.
Cheers
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinnan,
Have just had a look at the Registers of Tullyogallaghan (Creggan Lower) parish and Tartarraghan (Loughall and Tart.. ) unfortunately the NLI only.has registers from roughly 1845 - 1880 for the first parish and  1835 - 1881 for the second.  Really aiming for earlier ones - i.e end of 1700's to 1830 'ish - so not looking too hopeful. Oh well....