Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople (New website now live).  (Read 49133 times)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 September 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Looking forward to viewing the Kirk Records might find out a few things  ;D ;D
Rosie

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:00 BST (UK) »
I would love to see a subscription service for SP but actually wonder if this is an indication that the kirk session records are going to be put on the Scotland's Places site (which I have seen muted before).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
I may be the last person with Scots ancestors to read the piece I quote below but it seems that the new site (post 12th September) might well include a subs option and 'praise be' the kirk sessions records online for all of us who live outwith Scotland:

Plans for wider online access

We plan to begin making church court records available online in 2017, following the re-launch of the ScotlandsPeople website in 2016. We anticipate that it will take a significant time to upload the full range of kirk session, presbytery, synod and General Assembly records for the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, which amount to more than 20,000 volumes. Researchers will have the choice of accessing the records free of charge in various Scottish archives, or using the subscription service.
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/church-court-records-online

Much that a subscription option would be great depending on the prices, I hope its not going to be a complete change to that and remove PAYGO credits. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Much that a subscription option would be great depending on the prices, I hope its not going to be a complete change to that and remove PAYGO credits. :-\

I suspect that the subscription option will apply only to the new material and not to BMDs and census. But I live in hope of being wrong!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:36 BST (UK) »

I suspect that the subscription option will apply only to the new material and not to BMDs and census. But I live in hope of being wrong!

I think you might be correct there unfortunately. :-\  I'm in two minds on a sub for the BMD/Census records for me personally as in some ways it would be useful to play around seeing if I can follow sidelines forward when the names aren't that unusual, but in other ways with only one 4xGGfather born in Scotland and the fact I can only go back a few generations because of the availability of records, it could be a mute point as to whether a subscription would be cost effective for these depending on what the level was set at.  I've already done quite a bit of research on that line anyway.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Scotlands People - proposed shutdown of online service
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have just had an email from Scotlands People saying that the proposed shutdown of their online site
from 7th to 12th September has been postponed for the moment.

They will advise new date later.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People - proposed shutdown of online service
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dorrie,

I nearly had a fit as I thought it was going to be shutting down altogether when I read your subject heading  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People(Shutdown now postponed)
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
Last month we contacted you to let you know that our website would be unavailable from Wednesday 7 September 2016 until Monday 12 September 2016. We are writing to let you know that this site downtime has now been postponed to a future date. We will confirm the new dates as soon as possible

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People(Shutdown now postponed)
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, ev.

I was hoping that they'd start putting up the new documents soon but, thereyago!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***