Author Topic: Dorward's House of Refuge  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dorward's House of Refuge
« on: Monday 15 August 16 15:01 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for records of Dorward's House of Refuge in Montrose? Or know how the system of parish relief linked to inmates of the House of Refuge?

I'm interested in the period between 1881-1884. My Great, great Grandmother's brother, Michael Allen went into the House of Refuge following the death of his elderly parents and died there in 1884 aged 45.

I'd like to find out if records exist, either for Dorward's itself or the Parish Relief records (if an application would have been made by that route). Michael was born in Marykirk (Kincardineshire) but lived in Montrose.

Thanks

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline robo196

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dorward's House of Refuge
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
hi there on findmypast 1881 census its gives you the people in the refuge at that time there are 82 people in total but no Michael allen

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Archives here might help http://archive.angus.gov.uk/historyaa/archives/

A little description and history on Dorward House here www.dorwardhouse.com/about-history.html   Sure you have this, but just as background here  :)

This link to google books www.rootschat.com/links/01i7s/ gives a insight in the 1850s to how it was set up, managed and funded.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 16 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
I'm interested in the period between 1881-1884. My Great, great Grandmother's brother, Michael Allen went into the House of Refuge following the death of his elderly parents and died there in 1884 aged 45.

Sorry I can't help with your query but I descend from Allan's from both Kincardine & Aberdeen.
I haven't fully researched them yet but can you give me Michael's parents please?
I'm curious if there could be a connection.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robo96. At the time of the 1881 census Michael is in Murray St, Montrose. But he dies at Dorwards in 1884 so must have moved there at some point from 1881, hence my time frame for records.

Sarah

hi there on findmypast 1881 census its gives you the people in the refuge at that time there are 82 people in total but no Michael allen

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those links Monica.

I've read a fair bit about the history of the place already but, as I'm visiting the north-east in a couple of weeks, am trying to track down the records if they exist.

I'd like to shine a light on Michael as he begins as a scholar and trainee law clerk in Montrose but later lives with his parents, has no occupation and is referred to as "imbecile" on the censuses. I'd like to find out why.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Archives here might help http://archive.angus.gov.uk/historyaa/archives/

A little description and history on Dorward House here www.dorwardhouse.com/about-history.html   Sure you have this, but just as background here  :)

This link to google books www.rootschat.com/links/01i7s/ gives a insight in the 1850s to how it was set up, managed and funded.

Monica

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 09:07 BST (UK) »
Annie

Here's some background. Do let me know if there's a match.

Michael' parents were Michael Allen from Almer, Dorset (Allen with an "e" - tho sometimes transcribed as the more Scottish Allan) who was a gamekeeper at Invergaldie and then an innkeeper in Montrose. His mother was Mary Ann Leys from Marykirk, Kincardineshire. He had siblings Sarah, Margaret, Elizabeth, Jane and Martha. Sarah married Anthony Trail. Martha (my line) married James Allardice.
Hi Sarah,

Sorry I can't help with your query but I descend from Allan's from both Kincardine & Aberdeen.
I haven't fully researched them yet but can you give me Michael's parents please?
I'm curious if there could be a connection.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Michael' parents were Michael Allen from Almer, Dorset (Allen with an "e" - tho sometimes transcribed as the more Scottish Allan) who was a gamekeeper at Invergaldie and then an innkeeper in Montrose. His mother was Mary Ann Leys from Marykirk, Kincardineshire. He had siblings Sarah, Margaret, Elizabeth, Jane and Martha. Sarah married Anthony Trail. Martha (my line) married James Allardice.

Thanks for background info. but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any connection for the moment.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
Always worth a check though, Annie! 😉

Sarah