Author Topic: Victoria: John MANWARING, born 1828/29, Bristol, Gloucestershire  (Read 439 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Victoria: John MANWARING, born 1828/29, Bristol, Gloucestershire
« on: Monday 15 August 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

John MANWARING was born in Bristol c1828/29, the son of Thomas MANWARING, a Mason, and unknown mother who died c1834......father re-married 1837 a Mary Ann Herbert STEVENS

He was sentenced at the Bristol City Sessions to transportation for 7 years on 28/10/1844 for stealing a decanter and gin and arrived in Port Phillip (Williamstown) as an "Exile" aboard the Marion on 25/01/1848.   He was immediately employed for 6 months as a farm servant by Charles LAWRENCE, Melbourne, at £20 p.a.  Then I lose sight of him.

I wonder if anyone can help with his life "down under" after 1848, please.

Thank you,

BAC3

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria: John MANWARING, born 1828/29, Bristol, Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 16 18:01 BST (UK) »
There appears to be no Births deaths or Marriages for a person of that name in either Victoria or NSW in the timeframe 1848-1930 ???

I used both MANWARING and MAINWARING

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
I have no news of his life in Australia - but how certain are you that he was b Bristol???
There are several court appearances  in Bristol but could he have lived there and been born elsewhere?

1841 census
East St Bristol Gloucestershire
Thomas Manwaring 30 Mason NO
Mary Ann 25 Yes
John 13 NO
Mary Ann 1 Yes
Frederick 4 Yes
Ann Stephens 60 Ind NO
Ann Howells 65 NO
HO107 374 4 33 7

1861 census Thomas gives p.o.b. as Swansea Wales

Was John b. Swansea and moved to Bristol as an infant??

there is this baptism
St Mary Swansea
John Manwaring
born 30 Oct 1827
baptism 25 Nov 1827
parents Thomas & Sarah

on 1841 censusthere is Ann Howells age 65 not b in county living with Thomas and family- was she Thomas' first mother in law - did she originate from Wales -maybe she moved with Thomas to help with John after his Mum died -all suppositions but maybe worth investigating??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 16 20:20 BST (UK) »

Suz,

Sorry......I quite agree, my mistake in not researching his "beginnings" more thoroughly and understanding he may have been born in Swansea.   I was probably too concerned with the "down under" aspects :-[

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 10:58 BST (UK) »
No need to apologise - it is only a possibility - p.o.b. on census aren't always correct

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk