Author Topic: Simon Peter Alexander Ross  (Read 6676 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Peter Alexander Ross
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Could this be 'Siss'?

ROSS ANNIE CHRISTINA 1917 135/ 136 Elgin

Possibly younger children couldn't pronounce 'Chrissy/Chrissie' short for Christina i.e. 'Siss' or 'Sissy' was easier & stuck assuming she went by her middle name?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
Ahh...Apologies, missed your reply to Carole answering my questions.

So...Annie Christina would be a good possible being named after Jessie's mother.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Rosinish - his father John P. Ross was a farmer at Lochiepots, Miltonduff, Moray and he was born there 10.6.1913. Mother Jessie Helen MacKay b 6.3.1881 daughter of John MacKay and Anne Macdonald. Jessie had a son John born 4.6.1906, no father known. I'd like to know more about his sisters - I met one whom my mother called Siss or Ciss, I don't know her proper name but she lived in Forres early 1950s and went to Australia. I didn't know the sister who lived in Elgin or her name.

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Rosinish - sorry I've just seen your mention of Anne Christine. I'll have to find out if Jessie's mother was Anne Christine Macdonald. I expect I'll find out a lot more when I get to see the 1911 census!
Ciss was possibly Christine - I just don't know. My mother is 95 now and can't remember much of anything - I wish I'd asked years ago!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
Jessie Helen MacKay b 6.3.1881 daughter of John MacKay and Anne Macdonald.

That birth cert. should give you both parents names with Anne's maiden name & date/place married.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
I'll have to find out if Jessie's mother was Anne Christine Macdonald.

Although this Annie had the middle name of Christine that wouldn't necessarily mean her mother was named Anne Christine, she may have been plain Anne.

Annie

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 July 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
I've found Jessie Ross born 3rd May 1915 at Lochiepots  - she is Simon's sister and daughter of Jessie Ross nee MacKay. I wonder if she is Ciss/Cissie? Still no further on the other sister.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 July 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your advice. It seems I'm stuck then because although he lived with my family he wasn't a relative.

You can still apply for records and although edited they may provided what you are after:

Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the next of kin, MOD will disclose only:
•surname
•forename
•rank
•service number
•regiment/corps
•place of birth
•date of death where this occurred in service
•the date an individual joined the service
•the date of leaving
•good conduct medals (for example, Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
I've found Jessie Ross she is Simon's sister and daughter of Jessie Ross nee MacKay. I wonder if she is Ciss/Cissie? Still no further on the other sister.

I don't think Jessie would be called Cissy/Sissy as it is likely short for Christine just as Chrissy is?

Is it possible Simon called her Cissy/Sissy as a child not being able to pronounce Christine & it 'stuck'?

Or..unless...Maybe he called Jessie 'Sissy' as in sister  :-\
Annie