Author Topic: Seldom Seen, Newfield  (Read 12528 times)

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seldom Seen, Newfield
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millmoor :)

Offline DonnaA23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 August 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
There most definitely was a place called Seldom Seen, in Newfield. It was down the bank, near the river. I was born in Newfield near Byers Green, although a bit too young to remember that street. It had become just barren wasteland with a river, as I was growing up.

Offline DonnaA23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 August 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Also for the record, there used to a church in Newfield, but it was pulled down some years ago.

There is however, a graveyard still in Newfield, in the same road as Primrose Hill. The chances are, your ancestor is buried in there. My great grandad is buried there and he worked at Newfield Coillery. Infact he was killed in it.

Hope that helps.

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 August 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks Donna... it does help... Life in the colliery sounded dreadful!

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 August 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
There most definitely was a place called Seldom Seen, in Newfield. It was down the bank, near the river. I was born in Newfield near Byers Green, although a bit too young to remember that street. It had become just barren wasteland with a river, as I was growing up.

If correct the road past all the family properties was called HAGG LANE. Just a track now.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline DonnaA23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 August 16 18:03 BST (UK) »

If correct the road past all the family properties was called HAGG LANE. Just a track now.

Neil

We just used to call it, down the lane. But my mum might remember it as Hagg Lane, she was born in Newfield too. Played many a time down there as a child, building camps in the trees and playing in the orchard, climbing trees and eating sour apples. I remember an old house down there made of stone, right in the middle of the orchard.
The back road to Bishop, we'd call along 'along the bats'.
And the road between Binchester and Newfield, was the 'high lonning'

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 August 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hunter Miller, age 1 yr 6 mo. Seldom Seen was buried 21 Apr 1854 in Byers Green St. Peter.  Not baptised there though.

There is a Seldom Seen near Patton, Pennsylvania, USA.  Now the mine part is a tourist mine not quite as big as going to Beamish but an interesting trip.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 August 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Wow.... thank you very much Janis...

Where did you find the info?  That is definitely him although he was more like 1 yr and 9 mths I wonder if there is a gravestone, I'm not sure how you would go about finding one.

Thanks again,
Liz

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 August 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
I have some transcripts on fiche.  I have family that lived in Byers Green for many years.

I do not know about the cemetery.  I gave up looking through cemeteries when I go to England.  My family was never wealthy enough for a stone.  No stone for Hunter Miller at least according to Find-a-Grave.  Only 2 Millers recorded as having stones--Henry and Jane both buried 1912.  Pretty much all the stones are on that website that are readable and listed.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk