Author Topic: How can I find Catherine Lloyd's maiden name?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How can I find Catherine Lloyd's maiden name?
« on: Tuesday 16 August 16 17:32 BST (UK) »
When Catherine Lloyd married my rellie Richard Samuel in 1793 in Halkyn, Flints she was widowed.  A witness at the marriage was an Edward Lloyd who could have been a son from her 1st marriage???

She died in Halkyn in 1833 aged 77 so was born around 1756.

I'd like to know her maiden name & have tried various ways to find it, to no avail.  Any suggestions, please???
Thanks, Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find Catherine Lloyd's maiden name?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 18:44 BST (UK) »
I think you can only look at marriages between a Mr Lloyd and Catherine in the years preceding the marriage to your relative. If Edmund was her son, he would be a bit young to be a witness.

I have found a marriage of Benjamin Lloyd esq of Holywell to Miss Catherine Potter  otp on 6 Mar 1784 at northop by licence wit T.C.Potter and H E Lloyd. This looks like they were "gentry", would that fit with your rellie?

Another in Northop
John Lloyd widower of Es... in the vale of Clwyd married catherine Williams otp sp on 29 may 1790 by licence - wit Richard Roberts and Elizabeth Daniels
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Lizzie, but if Catherine was b 1756 or so, she could have married Mr Lloyd in 1776 when she was 20 & she's now marrying in 1793 so Edward could be 17, is that too young to have been a witness???

I'll now look up the 2 marriages that you've found & see what I think.    Thanks very much.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Lizzie, but if Catherine was b 1756 or so, she could have married Mr Lloyd in 1776 when she was 20 & she's now marrying in 1793 so Edward could be 17, is that too young to have been a witness???

I'll now look up the 2 marriages that you've found & see what I think.    Thanks very much.

No 17 isn't too young, my grandmother was a witness at her father and stepmother's wedding when she was 16. I think it depends on who is conducting the ceremony and whether they are convinced that the witness understands their role and the seriousness of the ceremony.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
https://viewer.library.wales/553088#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0

This may be worth checking out,
Benjamin Lloyd : will, 1789
Lloyd, Benjamin, Soughton, Northop, Flint, Esq.

Wife Catherine.
Mother ,
Sister Dorothea wife of Rev  W Thomas Clough of Halkyn.
Sister Mary Elizabeth Potter wife of Rev John Conway Potter of Soughton.
Sister Susannah Lloyd of Mold.
No children named.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
Could this be  the right Richard Samuel.

https://viewer.library.wales/414564#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0

Will of Richard Samuel mine of Halkin. 1803.
Wife Catherine. Quite a few children named.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.clwydsurnames.org.uk/P.html
415 Northop Vol 6 Marriages 1754-1812 Burials 1750-1812

415A&B Northop: 14 Aug 1783 mar. by Lic. of  Holland GRIFFITH ba. of Llanfaethlu ANG & Elizabeth POTTER sp. otp      Wits: --- LLOYD, JC. POTTER
 6 Mar 1784 mar. by Lic. of   Benjamin LLOYD, Esq., ba. of Holywell & (Miss) Catherine POTTER sp. otp  Wits: J. C. POTTER, H. E. LLOYD

Potter .
C Northop (burials): Catherine, Dorothea Catherina, Howel Lloyd, John Conway, Mary Elizabeth;

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Groom for your confirmation that aged 17 isn't too young to be a witness.   I thought it wasn't but wasn't sure!

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wilcoxon for all your interesting tidbits to look up.   I had found this marriage & cast it aside as I think these people were too well educated for my rellie who was a lead/coal miner living in Moel Y Crio.    When I looked at the marriage both bride & groom could write their own names & I looked back on some previous pages & J C Potter was obviously a clergy man as he had officiated at other marriages.  However your will for Richard Samuel was the correct one & I do already have it.   The children mentioned were his & Catherine's.   He was a widower when he married Catherine & he had other children from his previous marriage to a Mary Joseph, but he didn't leave anything to them.
I'm really scratching my head as how to find out her maiden name because I do feel she was living around the area as their circumstances would not have allowed them to go far afield.
Anyway thanks for your help, everything is appreciated.    Amberly