Author Topic: Explore the Map on Ancestry  (Read 1395 times)

Offline BORRI

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Explore the Map on Ancestry
« on: Tuesday 16 August 16 20:44 BST (UK) »
I'm getting very frustrated with Ancestry. I've had my Mums DNA done and I am now trying to use the "Explore the map" option on Ancestry. The idea is good and it is a much quicker way of deciding who to contact, BUT, my Mum is from East Prussia and the Country no longer exists. She was born in Kunzendorf, a small village, now in Poland and called Witoszewo.

On the "old" Ancestry there was no problem, but the "new" Ancestry keeps ignoring Kunzendorf, East Prussia and moving my mothers family several hundred miles west, into West Germany.

I cannot find a way of contacting Ancestry to correct this oversite.

Does anyone know a way of placing my familie on the map without changing their place of birth from Kunzendorf, East Prussia, Germany to Witoszewo, Poland.

I have the same problem with Goyden, now called Gajdy.

Fingers crossed.
Norris-Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Middx
Barrett-Bucks/Middx
Soth-East Prussia

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Explore the Map on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Try this link,
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~atpc/heritage/history/historic-geography.html
Treaty of Versailles:
Article 27.7

Drill down to the boxed Text.
Maggsie

Offline BORRI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggsie
Interesting reading, but I'm not sure my Mum would agree with a lot of it.

I do have a couple of good maps of East and West Prussia before it was divided and the corridor created.

What I need is a way I can contact Ancestry uk (other than phone) and let them know their "explore the Maps" tool doesn't work when a Country no longer exists. There are so many Countries that have changed borders and names in recent years, I can't be the only one that is having a problem.

My family are of German descent and not Polish.

Thanks for your kind help Maggsie.
Barrett-Bucks/Middx
Soth-East Prussia

Offline BORRI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 August 16 21:28 BST (UK) »
I have had a play around with the Ancestry map tool now and it appears that if Ancestry don't recognise a town or village they place their flag in the centre of a Country.
If like me you type Kunzendorf, East Prussia, Ancestry decides to ignore the village and except that East Prussia was a part of Germany. This means all Prussians will be placed in the centre of Germany.

This map tool works great for DNA searches providing the people you are looking for live in a Country that hasn't changed it's borders or name since they were born.

Barrett-Bucks/Middx
Soth-East Prussia