Author Topic: Help please--am i on the right track  (Read 1255 times)

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please--am i on the right track
« on: Wednesday 17 August 16 02:45 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for a Matilda Johnstone who married 1) David Black 2) Archibald Robertson. This is what found so far.

Archibald Robertson died 1873, aged 64 years, living at 57 Kirk Street, Calton widower of a Catherine Jamieson (no mention of a second wife ). informant John Robertson  son

1871 census with a Archibald Robertson age 60 and Matilda aged 50 living at 57 Kirk street, Calton

There is also on the 1841 census with Mary Johnstone 50, Matilda Johnstone 20, Sarah 18 and a Jane Black aged 3 that i think may be the right Matilda and Jane i've been looking for.

Matilda died in Hutchesontown 1889, parents Jeffery Johnston and Marie Brown/Broun it says widow of 1) David Black 2) Archibald Robertson

I'm beginning to think that Matilda wasn't married to either one and just lived with them as common-law as i can't find a marriage for her. My question is is the Archibald on the death certificate the same Archibald with Matilda the one and same. 
Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help please--am i on the right track
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Wee Mammy

Your info fits really well  :) In particular, the 1871 census address and the address a couple of years later where Archibald Robertson died (with a matching age for him).

Matilda's death details in 1889 are the final pieces of confirmation for you.

Have you got Matilda and Jane in 1851 & 1861 to help you further?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
Have you tracked Archibald back in the 1861, 1851 and 1841 censuses? That would be my next step, I think.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Wee Mammy

Have you checked the 1851 and 1861 England censuses for Matilda?

In the 1851 England census, there is a Matilda Robertson, age 29, born Glasgow, Scotland, employed as a daily governess in the household of Maria Evans at 8 Southampton Row, Marylebone.

In 1861, this same Matilda Robertson, age 40, is in the employ of the Lady Superintendent of the Governess House at 66 Harley Street, Marylebone.

As your Matilda is not recorded in the Scotland censuses for those years, these look like a good fit. While they may not have married, Matilda appears to have taken his surname.

Matilda Robertson next appears in the 1871 Scotland census you cited, age 50, with Archibald Robertson at 57 Kirk Street, Calton.

In 1861, Archibald Robertson, age 51, Cotton Spinner, is living at 9 St Andrew Lane, Calton, with his son John, age 20; Janet Robertson, age 6, daughter; Mary McMillan, age 80, his mother, who is recorded merely as 'relative'; and Ann McMillan, age 40, presumably his sister, who is likewise merely recorded as 'relative'.

Do you know who is the mother of Archibald's daughter Janet (born in Glasgow circa 1855)? In 1871, Janet Robertson, age 16, is living with her brother, John Robertson, age 30, tobacco spinner, his wife, Elizabeth, and their children Archibald, age 7, Alexander, age 6, and Elizabeth, age 1, at 52 Rose St, B Land (sic), Hutchesontown, Govan.

What became of Jane Black remains a mystery, as she isn't with Matilda in England -- nor can I find any trace of Archibald Robertson in the either the 1851 Scotland census or 1851 England census. He seems to have slipped under the radar.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Wee Mammy,

Not sure if this will help but Jane Black 1855 - 1885 has 8 matches for a marriage in Hutchesontown on SP.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
From familysearch (needle in a haystack)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i81/

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
I was having trouble getting past this family group in 1861:

1861:  60 Struthers Street, Glasgow Calton,
REF: Glasgow Calton -  ED 90 / Pg 13 / HS 86
Matilda McGREGOR 39, Cotton Mill Worker, b Glasgow
Dau: Jane BLACK 23, Cotton Mill Worker, b Glasgow
Sister-in-Law: Jane JOHNSTON 60, A Tailor's Widow, b Glasgow
Son: Samuel JOHNSTON 7, Scholar

Can't find this Matilda in other Census to be able to discount.  McGREGOR could be a maiden name or a married name (common-law or otherwise).

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
This looks interesting (relevant surnames);

Johnstone Boyd
Jane Black
Marriage 03 Jul 1863
Calton, Glasgow, Lanark

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTYW-RPY

Annie

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
First of all let me say a big thank you to all who replied to my posting.

Monica, it's good to know that i'm on the right track. I haven't found Matilda in the 1851 or 1861 census. Jane was married on May 1861 living in Hutchesontown,couldn't find her in 1851.

Forfarian, I couldn't find Archibald in any the Census except the 1871

Rodeo, I never checked England for Matilda or Archibald. The 1861 census for Archibald is the right one as on his death cert. his mother is listed as Mary McMillan, previously Robertson,M.S. McCallum. I will now look for Janet to see if Matilda was her mother or Archibald's first wife.

Rosinish, Jane was married by May 1861, still trying to find her in the 1851 census

Ambly, I have already used up a lot of credits on SP trying to connect this 1861 census with Matilda under the name McGregor, no luck so far

The trouble is with names like Robertson, Johnstone and Black, they are such common names it doesn't make it easy to find the right connections.. LOL

Thank you to you all for your help, it really is appreciated.

Wee mammy