Author Topic: Where are my g.aunt and uncle?  (Read 3672 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Where are my g.aunt and uncle?
« on: Wednesday 17 August 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
I have a great aunt Mary Elizabeth Benson, born 2 June 1888 in Hull, who married a George Carter in 1905, in Hull, he was born 3 December 1883.  They are on the 1911 census, living together with one child, they had 3 children, but the eldest died in the first year of birth and the the youngest was born in 1912. 

I decided to search for her on the 1939 register but couldn't find her.  I found both her surviving children, married and living with their spouses and children (redacted), but I can't find my g.aunt and her husband anywhere.  I can't find deaths for either of them either.  I thought I had found her with a 2nd husband in 1939 but her  date of birth is wrong, 27 July 1888, rather than 2 June 1888.

I wondered if they'd emigrated, but as their two surviving children are were in the UK in 1939, they wouldn't have gone anywhere until the youngest was at least 16, so 1928 at the soonest. 

Any ideas?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where are my g.aunt and uncle?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 21:14 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see whether George died in WW1

www.cwgc.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
CaroleW - That's not him.  That is a Scotsman who left his effects to his mother.  There are a few George Carters from Hull killed in WWI but there are no records on Ancestry, although like Mary Elizabeth's youngest brother's records (he was killed in 1917) they could have been lost during WW2.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 21:32 BST (UK) »
I didn't specify any particular George Carter but what I stupidly did (don't ask me why!!) is post the link to Scotlands People instead of the link to the cwgc website - now corrected above with apologies
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
There are so many George Carters on CWGC, the first few I looked at were the wrong age.  Ideally, if he was killed during the war, I'd need to find him on CWGC with his next of kin listed, but that doesn't happen often.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 16 08:10 BST (UK) »
Any clues in the witnesses for the childrens' marriage?    Are they likely to have left wills?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
I haven't got details of the children's marriages, only the qtr and year from BMD.  They are my first cousins once removed so not a priority.  I did look for wills for George Carter, being a coalman I thought he might have had his own business, but one I found lived in Sheffield, died 1930, and the other one I've not made a note of but it wasn't Hull - I'll check that one out again.  Of course, there's nothing to show they didn't move away apart from the fact that their children didn't, and Mary Elizabeth's sister moved to Cambridge for a few years then went back to Hull again.

I'm going to do a search to see if George had his own business which might give a clue as to where he was and for how long.  It's just strange that they both seem to have disappeared, unless as I first thought they'd both re-married and then given the wrong dates of birth on the 1939 census.  Unlikely, I would think.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 August 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
i tried looking in passenger lists but couldnt find either of them that was obvious .regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
I think I've found Mary re-marrying Jun qtr 1919 in Hull to a Frederick J(ames) COOK.

I wasn't certain if that was her but the names and address???

Two Men Fined at Hull -George Henry Carter, aged 21, of Gardener's-buildings, Walker-street, Hull, and Robert Ablitt, aged 20, of Grange-street, Hull, pleaded guilty Hull Police Court to-day to stealing one case of tinned fruit
September 8, 1933 - Hull Daily Mail - Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Frederick James (Jimmy), late Hull Footballers, beloved husband of Mary E. Cook, passed suddenly, February 22nd, 6, Gardener's Buildings, Walker-street, Hull.—At rest. Interment p.m., Monday, Western
February 24, 1933 - Hull Daily Mail - Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Not sure what happens after 1933 when her husband dies. There's a Mary E COOK marrying a John SMITH (great  ::)) later in 1933. On the 1939 there's a Mary E SMITH whose dob is 1 year and 1 day out from yours.....

No idea what happened to George CARTER though. ???

Maureen