Author Topic: Margaret Samuel, Blaenant, Llanelly in 1851 census  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Margaret Samuel, Blaenant, Llanelly in 1851 census
« on: Wednesday 17 August 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone with census access could let me know the details of Margaret Samuel and any others who were living at on farm called Blaenant (or Blaen-nant), Llanelly (now spelt Llanelli) in 1851.

I've received a death certificate for William Thomas who died on 17th July 1853 at a farm called Baile (or Baily), Llanelly.  The two farms aren't far apart and Margaret Samuel was the informant.  I though he was an ancestor but his age at the date of his death is given as 33, whereas I thought it should have been about 54/55.  I know death ages aren't necessarily too reliable.

I'm looking into the possibility that the deceased is the next generation down, but other things seem to sugest that that's not the case.

Cheers

Cyfrifydd
Saunders, Lewis, Thomas, Rees, Nightingale, Chambers, Wharf, Beaumont, Whitaker, Shrimpton. Kyle, Paterson

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Samuel, Blaenant, Llanelly in 1851 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
You can access the transcript on familysearch :

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZQ-XL6

The full address , not given here, is Blaennant, Llanelly

HO107 2468 454 8
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Samuel, Blaenant, Llanelly in 1851 census - COMPLETED, THANKS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks CB53.
Saunders, Lewis, Thomas, Rees, Nightingale, Chambers, Wharf, Beaumont, Whitaker, Shrimpton. Kyle, Paterson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
The age at death of William Thomas is interesting. On the 1851, there are two William Thomas at Baily - the elder (farmer), aged 52 and his son, aged 24.  ( a couple of pages on from Margaret Samuel)

I'm wondering if the death cert might be wrong - was it from the local reg office or was it from the GRO?  Also, what was the occupation?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Yes, that's my problem exactly.  The GRO death cert says (dod) seventeenth July 1853, Baile, Llanelly, William Thomas, 33 years, Farmer, cancer of the pylorus, the mark of Margaret Samuel, present at the death, Blaenant, Llanelly.  The age, 33, is very plain, both figures '3' are the same and can't be mistaken for 5s.

There's more work to be done on this one!

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a copy of the cert, or any part of it.  If the '33' had been '53' I don't think I'd have any problems.

Pylorus was a new one on me.  I think it's stomach cancer.

Cheers

Cyfrifydd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again

If you obtained it from the local registrar's office in Carmarthenshire, it would show what was entered in the 'book'. If it was obtained from the GRO in London, it would be a copy of what was sent to the GRO in that particular quarter. I'm thinking that it could well be a transcription error. Is it possible to check up with the local office in Carmarthenshire?

It might be worth checking if the son appears on the  1861census.

Pylorus = the sphincter between the stomach and the duodenum.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:43 BST (UK) »
Had a further thought - the Nat Lib of Wales has the pre-1856 Wills. He might have left one. I'll ahve a quick look but am pushed for time at the moment.

Added - link in case: https://www.llgc.org.uk/discover/nlw-resources/wills/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:47 BST (UK) »
 :D

Found his will - will get on with reading it - difficult on my tablet but it is there.

This link might work for you:

https://viewer.library.wales/481641#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&z=0.0463%2C0.4876%2C0.7145%2C0.7363

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:49 BST (UK) »
I've seen the will, too - I don't feel it's really very helpful.  His wife is referred to, but not by name.