Author Topic: Margaret Samuel, Blaenant, Llanelly in 1851 census  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Samuel, Blaenant, Llanelly in 1851 census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
It was made on July 12th - just before he died. Proved in 1854. I think it feels like a man in his 50s not his 30s..

Check the 1861. I honestly believe it's a transcription error on the death record.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
In 1861 Hannah Thomas, widow, head, 61. was at Baily farming 50 acres.  Also there was William, 34, son, and other children and grand-children.

So, Gadget, it looks like your hunch is probably right - a transciption error in the local registrar's office in Carmarthenshire.  I'll try to contact them and I'll post any follow-ups.

Many thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Cyfrifydd
Saunders, Lewis, Thomas, Rees, Nightingale, Chambers, Wharf, Beaumont, Whitaker, Shrimpton. Kyle, Paterson

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
Gadget, the registrar's office in Llanelli confirms that the (recorded) age at the date of death was 33 (thirty three).  It's strange.  I'll have to do more work.

Cheers
Saunders, Lewis, Thomas, Rees, Nightingale, Chambers, Wharf, Beaumont, Whitaker, Shrimpton. Kyle, Paterson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 August 16 12:34 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it's him though!  Even in Welsh there's a lot of difference in sound between tri deg and pum deg  :-\

I had a similar problem with one of my line in North Wales. He was registered as 60 when he died but he was actually 71.  The info was also provided by a neighbour.

I've checked burials and available newspapers  but  haven't found anything so far. How far are you from Llanelli as there might be a monumental inscription.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:23 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it's him too!  Everything else ties up.  I'm in Brecon, about 40 or so miles from Llanelli where I still have family.  There are several avenues for me to follow up.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Cyfrifydd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 August 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
You've probably noted this but just in case.  There was a Baptist minister staying with them on the 1851. Not sure how good the non-con records are for down there.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llanelli/Chapels

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 August 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd noticed the Baptist minister.  Haven't done anything about him - I felt he was a bit removed.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 August 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
Just that they were quite likely to be Baptists so that any burial service, etc. would likely be in a Baptist chapel. there might give some info in some of the records of the chapels that I've linked to.