Author Topic: Two John Connors Berwickshire !!!  (Read 667 times)

Offline BernardOC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two John Connors Berwickshire !!!
« on: Wednesday 17 August 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
Have a mystery to resolve.  In the 1841 Census, Head of Family - Jeremiah Connor, Ayton, Berwickshire, there is an entry for John Connor age 11 born, Berwickshire, Scotland. In the 1851 census, Jeremiah Connor and family are based in Newton by the Sea, Northumberland. Now comes the query.... John Connor age 11 in 1841 isn't on the 1851census BUT another John Connor age 4 is there. I cannot find any death record for John Connor 1841, but it seems logical that the first John Connor has died and the latest male child is named after his deceased brother.   Can anyone look up records to clarify.      I do know that the John Connor in 1851 eventually ended up in Bow, London in 1872.
I'm researching: O'Connor, Connor, Rea, Smith, Skilton

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Two John Connors Berwickshire !!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
I noticed that somebody has notified an amendment to the 1851 entry saying the family name is prefixed O as in O’Conner/Connor

The 4yr old John was b Ayton so have you checked Scotlands People for a death under Connor/Conner/O’Connor/O’Conner for the other John?

SP is a pay per view site via purchase of credits but you can search the index for free.
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)