Author Topic: Unidentified Tipstaff Coat of Arms  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Swainys Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unidentified Tipstaff Coat of Arms
« on: Wednesday 17 August 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a very nice tipstaff but no one seems to recognise the coat of Arms. Can you help?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified Tipstaff Coat of Arms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
The ox over water is the coat-of-arms of Oxford City.

Maybe Oxford police?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
University of Oxford.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
University of Oxford.
??? Nothing like it!

The arms of the University of Oxford feature an open book, between 3 crowns, on a blue background.

Or, if you prefer the heraldic blazon:
Azure, upon a book open proper, leathered gules, garnished or, having on the dexter side seven seals of the last, the words DOMINVS ILLVMINATIO MEA; all between three open crowns, two and one, or.

Rather than guessing (invariably wrong!), try doing a bit of research.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Swainys Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Mentioning Oxford narrows things down a bit but googling images for Oxford does not show anything with three anchors and two crowns.  :-\

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 16 06:42 BST (UK) »
I am coming up blank, too! :-\

I can't find any other Civic Heraldry that uses the ox over water (a ford!); so I am confident it relates to Oxford somehow.

Could the anchors somehow relate to a River Authority? Or maybe River Police?

I have searched online, but nothing is coming up. Sorry!

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
University of Oxford.
??? Nothing like it!

The arms of the University of Oxford feature an open book, between 3 crowns, on a blue background.

Azure, upon a book open proper, leathered gules, garnished or, having on the dexter side seven seals of the last, the words DOMINVS ILLVMINATIO MEA; all between three open crowns, two and one, or.

I did some research   and I came up with a lead to Oxford University.

Research on Wikipedia  can often produce incorrect details, I find.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Swainys Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 August 16 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your efforts it is much appreciated! I am a complete novice to Heraldry and such like although I am now taking much more interest in the subject since my Father passed away last December. He was a big collector of police memorabilia, and heraldry etc is used in so many ways in the forces. You are welcome to take a look at a site I have dedicated to him, found here http://alan.swain.me.uk/

The mention of river police is a good suggestion as there being 'anchors' in the coat of arms although I am not sure of the use of crowns. I did find three crowns relating to the Bishop of Oxford. Was/is there a Bishops Palace like we have here in Peterborough? A Church Wardens tipstaff? Cathedral related??

Universities, yes, colleges, how many of them are there and have any been sold in the past or ceased to exist?

Dating the tipstaff at a very rough guess, I'd put it at say 1850 possibly earlier. Universities did indeed use them surprisingly, as I have one of my fathers for Cambridge, reference number 15 here... http://alan.swain.me.uk/truncheons.htm

Hopefully some of the ideas here will get viewers of this thread to chip in. The Tipstaff certainly is a genuine item and someone somewhere would know just what it was used for and where. Thanks again!

Laurence.

Edit: Just a little more info, the coat of arms is on a 'silver' curved disc mounted on the wooden baton, just incase one wonders what the black stains are.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 August 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
I also did some googling and failed to find anything similar.

University of Oxford.
??? Nothing like it!

I did some research   and I came up with a lead to Oxford University.

Research on Wikipedia  can often produce incorrect details, I find.

Scouseboy, I'm afraid I find this difficult to believe, but if you would care to provide a link to the research you did which led you to Oxford University, I will be very happy to apologise for doubting you, and congratulate you for helping to answer this query.  ;D