Author Topic: Unidentified Tipstaff Coat of Arms  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Swainys Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified Tipstaff Coat of Arms
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
It can't be from the City of Oxford, as the arms are wrong.

Webster's College Dictionary says:
tip•staff (ˈtɪpˌstæf, -ˌstɑf)

n., pl. -staves (-ˌsteɪvz)
-staffs.
1. an attendant or crier in a court of law.
2. a staff tipped with metal, formerly carried as a badge of office, as by a constable.
3. any official who carried such a staff.

Other dictionaries say much the same.
That was why I suggested the Oxford City Police?
The addition of the anchors makes me think it might have been the River Authority, or River Police?
The coronets (NB not crowns!) look to me like civic coronets? But as they are a charge on the field, rather than a crest, they could mean almost anything?! ::)

I tried all the colleges at Oxford University, but none of their Arms are even close.

In summary, I would say it's a civic office, connected to Oxford City.

KGarrard... Thanks very much for your input, I very much like your research! however... I am starting to sway away from the idea that it is even a tipstaff as such and used by a representative of the law, purely because of the delicate construction of it. It is an easy item to snatch and snap in half in the face of an offender, it is in no way a sturdy enough object for the use that I originally thought, I could be very wrong though. I like the idea put forward by Scouseboy in that "It may have been the symbol of office  held by the Town Clerk  of the City of Oxford." and that it may well have served its life as a desktop symbol of authority object.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
I like the idea put forward by Scouseboy in that "It may have been the symbol of office  held by the Town Clerk  of the City of Oxford." and that it may well have served its life as a desktop symbol of authority object.

In that case perhaps it would be worth contacting the Museum of Oxford, at Oxford Town Hall.
They have regalia associated with Oxford and would surely be interested and able to identify the crest?
https://www.oxford.gov.uk/museumofoxford
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swainys Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
I like the idea put forward by Scouseboy in that "It may have been the symbol of office  held by the Town Clerk  of the City of Oxford." and that it may well have served its life as a desktop symbol of authority object.

In that case perhaps it would be worth contacting the Museum of Oxford, at Oxford Town Hall.
They have regalia associated with Oxford and would surely be interested and able to identify the crest?
https://www.oxford.gov.uk/museumofoxford

Thank you Jen... this is a good suggestion. Ideally they could be shown this thread. I'll email them. Cheers. Laurence.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
I think you misunderstand?
Tipstaffs were NOT truncheons! ;D They weren't intended to be used to clobber someone! ;D
They were ceremonial or decorative - a bit like the Black Rod in Parliament?

As I said, the Arms are just wrong for Oxford City, but almost certainly a civic body connected to the City of Oxford?

The Museum would be a good call.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
I admit to knowing nothing about this subject, but as the Coat of Arms seems difficult to identify, could it possibly have been an engraver's interpretation of a description such as KGarrad's example:

Azure, upon a book open proper, leathered gules, garnished or, having on the dexter side seven seals of the last, the words DOMINVS ILLVMINATIO MEA; all between three open crowns, two and one, or.

May I just add that I would not propose asking the Museum of Oxford to read this thread as it may influence them or lead them in the wrong direction. I'm sure they have better things to do than wade through our often irrelevant musings. I think better to just send the photo. :)

Offline Swainys Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 August 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
...Just had a beer and brain is now thinking. Is it possible that the coat of arms on this tipstaff is a personal coat of arms rather than that of an official office? I was looking through a very long list of mayors for Oxford, and there is many of them, and wondered if it could belong to one of them? The coa looks to be very simple in nature. Possibly a mayor had it made for his own personal use? Just a thought.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 August 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
I've done umpteen searches for "three anchors" and "two coronets" - no hits!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Swainys Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 August 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
I've done umpteen searches for "three anchors" and "two coronets" - no hits!

Thanks KGarrad... It really is much appreciated! I have also done likewise but not with the expert knowledge that you have.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 August 16 23:34 BST (UK) »
...Just had a beer and brain is now thinking. Is it possible that the coat of arms on this tipstaff is a personal coat of arms rather than that of an official office? I was looking through a very long list of mayors for Oxford, and there is many of them, and wondered if it could belong to one of them? The coa looks to be very simple in nature. Possibly a mayor had it made for his own personal use? Just a thought.

Have you come across any other tipstaffs which have personal coats of arms? If so, then it could be an avenue to explore further. It expands the search of course.  :)

I agree that the engraving does look 'primitive'. :)