Author Topic: Where was Albert Place in Holyhead?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Moshavim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rummaging in the family tree
    • View Profile
Where was Albert Place in Holyhead?
« on: Thursday 18 August 16 08:03 BST (UK) »
Does any one know where Albert Place was in Holyhead?

My relatives where shown to be living there in 1885, but I can't find it on any modern map..

Regards

Neil Higgins
Higgins  Barrett  Davies  Ross  Williams  Reilly  Gray  Martin  Wall  York  Hoskin  Linacre  Carhart Prett  Fletcher  Conran  McDermott  Patrickson  Finn  Crosby  Gummow  Paschoe  Martin  Mallett  Duff  Blight  Taylor  Griggs  Ratcliffe  Castle  Measdy

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Albert Place in Holyhead?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 16 08:18 BST (UK) »
Don't know if will help, but near these streets. Have you tried google

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/Holyhead/Holyhead_A_01

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Moshavim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rummaging in the family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
I've tried Google, but I get no results.  It think has either been renamed or, more likely,  bulldozed to make way for new housing.

Thank you for the list.  I have seen something similar but as the list is arranged alphabetically I don't think that the streets listed are necessarily close to the location of Albert Place.   :(

Neil
Higgins  Barrett  Davies  Ross  Williams  Reilly  Gray  Martin  Wall  York  Hoskin  Linacre  Carhart Prett  Fletcher  Conran  McDermott  Patrickson  Finn  Crosby  Gummow  Paschoe  Martin  Mallett  Duff  Blight  Taylor  Griggs  Ratcliffe  Castle  Measdy

Offline SharonAnne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census & BMD Information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census the street listed before Albert Place was Newry Street and next street listed was Cybi Street. Also listed were Armenia Street, Cybi Place, Boston Street - all of these are in the same area around Stanley Street, so I think it might be safe to assume that Albert Place was also in the area.
There's a facebook group that shares old photos and information about Holyhead called Old Holyhead, someone on there may know more - https://www.facebook.com/OldHolyhead/
Williams, Marshall, Garrard, Hughes, Roberts, Evans
McAndrew, Higginson, Settle, Watts, Martin, Dunn

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Using my memory of the area noted by SharonAnne, I have a sneaking suspicion that Albert Square etc. was located at the site of the Empire cinema, it being the only building that didn't exist in 1885.
Before the war there were a half-dozen very old houses located on Newry St., (the remnants of the area of houses etc.), that extended from Newry St. to Market Hill, past the old Law Courts. That area, and the houses,  were demolished and cleared and was large enough to house the missing Square and Albert Place, the subject of this topic.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this may be relevant but, on Google Street View, there is a pub called Albert Vaults, on Stanley street, just past the junction of Newry Street and St Cybi Street.

There is a 1:500 scale map of 1888 on www.old-maps.co.uk . It shows most names but not Albert Place. There is an unnamed alleyway leading from the junction and curves behind the pub, which may have residential properties. It seems to have been redeveloped after the 1900-1924 maps.

David

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that David.
   I've just had a look at another map that dates from 1880. According to that, the Albert Vaults, and all of that side of Stanley St., from the bottom of William St. to Cybi St, wasn't built at that time.
 It may well be that what is now known as Stanley St. and Stanley Square at the top of Boston St. was named after Lord Stanley, 1827-1903, the local philanthropist but that before this naming, when the area was quite different, it paid homage to Prince Albert.
 A look at the 1861 census would show if Stanley St. existed at that time. Naming the pub after Albert could be a link to what the place was called before completion of the area.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 October 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Stanley street was definitely there as one of my relatives was born in the blacksmiths (now the estate agents) in 1881

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 October 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn.
            Another old map of the area shows a long row of houses that starts at the site of the Empire Cinema on Newry St. running towards Market Hill, (certainly long enough to contain the houses in the 1881 census etc.). Except for a war-time temporary building, the area, I remember, was completely empty. My brother, (born 1926), can't throw any light on Albert Place either.
 It seems to be the likeliest site as it borders Stanley St, Newry St and Cybi St. (shown in the census run). Because of the lack of an alternative site in that particular area the possibility is as strong as it can be.