Author Topic: Daniel Joseph Fortune - Fermoy  (Read 757 times)

Offline GarfyB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Joseph Fortune - Fermoy
« on: Thursday 18 August 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
I am an amateur WWII Bomber Command researcher and I trying to locate a photo of Sgt Daniel Joseph Fortune (1898863), who was sadly killed when the Vickers Wellington Bomber that he was on board crashed shortly after take off from RAF Silverstone, Northamptonshire, UK on 7th September 1944.  All on board were killed.

I am in the process of setting up a memorial page on my website for the crew and I am trying to locate a photo of him.  If there is a photo of him that is available, but the owner of the photo does not want it published, for whatever reason, then I will honour that request, but would like to be able to show other living relatives of the other crew members his photo, if possible.

http://aviationresearch.my-free.website/he982-7-sept-1944

I offer all my research to living the relatives for free.

Daniel Joseph Fortune:  Born in Fermoy in 1912, son of John Fortune and of Catherine Fortune (nee Aherine).

I would appreciate any help and I'm happy for supply official records for this crash in exchange.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Joseph Fortune - Fermoy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 16 11:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Roots Chat

I do not know the family but can tell from online records that he had at least five siblings,
there are no other FORTUNEs in Fermoy on the 1911 census

I may be able to help with some contact details however the rules of RC is that we cannot discuss the possible living; I use the 100 year rule for this!

If you post twice more you will be allowed receive Personal Messages (PMs) that are private
Once I see that you have posted twice more I will send what I have found as Daniel married in 1935 and had at least 4 children

edited to add
there are family trees on ancestry that are managed by relatives and may be a good place to start
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline GarfyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:41 BST (UK) »
 Thank you for you reply, it's very much appreciated.  :)

Offline GarfyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
....incidentally, I'm hoping to get a photo before the 72nd anniversary of the crash (this coming September), hence why I'm hoping someone (anyone) will have something.