Author Topic: Can anyone read the writing on this gravestone?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone read the writing on this gravestone?
« on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
I know it says Thomas Greenwood, but I can't read any of the other writing to see if it mentions anyone else he is related to, or if it gives any other useful information.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=greenwood&GSfn=thomas&GSby=1819&GSbyrel=in&GSdy=1878&GSdyrel=in&GScntry=5&GSob=n&GRid=163300342&df=all&

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read the writing on this gravestone?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to read this, but if it's at what Calderdale FHS describe as Charlestown Mount Olivet Baptist, a transcription can be found on their Memorial Inscriptions CD Set 2.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
Best to request a copy if it is important to you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for advice.  I am not sure if it is my great great grandfather or not, Greenwood was a very common name around there, though my great great grandfather was born in Hebden Bridge in 1819 and his name was Thomas Greenwood, and I can't find anything about him or most of his family after the 1851 census, he just seems to disappear. 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not great but best I can offer:

(By Line)

1. Thomas Greenwood
2. Of ---(West)bank?
3. Who died April 27 187(9)? ………..
4. Also of ---- Greenwood -----------
5. ----------------------------
6. (Rest).-------------

Sorry I can’t see anything else

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to read this, but if it's at what Calderdale FHS describe as Charlestown Mount Olivet Baptist, a transcription can be found on their Memorial Inscriptions CD Set 2.

Just adding to my earlier message: anyone can search the Calderdale FHS database of about 750,000 names. Go to their site at http://www.cfhsweb.com/web/ and hover on Research, then pick Transcription Index in the dropdown menu.

Generally a brief summary of the data is provided free. Non-members are advised to buy a copy of the CD, but members can request a full transcription for no further charge. (This isn't automatic, but is dealt with by a friendly and helpful human being.) Depending on the level of membership, you may find this costs less than the CD.

(Disclosure of interest: I am a member of CFHS.)

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 August 16 19:00 BST (UK) »

Just adding to my earlier message: anyone can search the Calderdale FHS database of about 750,000 names. Go to their site at http://www.cfhsweb.com/web/ and hover on Research, then pick Transcription Index in the dropdown menu.

Generally a brief summary of the data is provided free. Non-members are advised to buy a copy of the CD, but members can request a full transcription for no further charge. (This isn't automatic, but is dealt with by a friendly and helpful human being.) Depending on the level of membership, you may find this costs less than the CD.

(Disclosure of interest: I am a member of CFHS.)

Arthur
Thanks I will try that.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 August 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not great but best I can offer:

(By Line)

1. Thomas Greenwood
2. Of ---(West)bank?
3. Who died April 27 187(9)? ………..
4. Also of ---- Greenwood -----------
5. ----------------------------
6. (Rest).-------------

Sorry I can’t see anything else

Annie

I wonder if the place he lived was "Waterside"?

There was a Thomas Greenwood living at Waterside, which is given as Halifax, though on the map that is close to Hebden Bridge, who advertises a lot in the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser.  Selling things like farm machinery.  It probably isn't him though; it was a common name.

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
My stab at it

Thomas Greenwood
of ????????
who died April 21st 1878, Aged ?? years
Also of Sarah A. Relict of the above
who died March ?? 18?(8)3
Aged 7? (9) years
Also of ??????   (Jane, Daughter of above)
who died ????? (Sepr) ????
Aged ??  years

()  is a guess

Have you tried to contact the owner of the photo to ask if they could take a closer look at the original photo?

Sorry about the icons I haven't put them in they have appeared as I've used more than one ?

Good Luck!

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com