Author Topic: Seeking information on Mary Phelan/Wayland  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Emma Post

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seeking information on Mary Phelan/Wayland
« on: Friday 19 August 16 16:45 BST (UK) »
This may be a long shot and may be confusing, However I am searching and at a loss finding information on Mary Ann Phelan/Wayland, She was from Clonmel, Tipperary and born approx 1825. She was an Irish convict brought to Tasmania, Australia and married Thomas Hudson/Hodson who was an English convict in New Norfolk, Tasmania 1855. Found a Thomas Hodson shoemaker and convict from New Norfolk who applied to marry Mary Phelan, convict on 5 July 1855. The birth certificate of one of the children (Mary Ann Gough nee Hudson) has her father as Thomas Hudson, shoemaker and mother as Mary Hudson formerly, Wayland. This Child was their only surviving child. If any of this sounds familiar or if anyone can help I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking information on Mary Phelan/Wayland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Emma Post

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I didnt know about these so i will check them out :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 August 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
This may be a long shot and may be confusing, However I am searching and at a loss finding information on Mary Ann Phelan/Wayland, She was from Clonmel, Tipperary and born approx 1825. She was an Irish convict brought to Tasmania, Australia and married Thomas Hudson/Hodson who was an English convict in New Norfolk, Tasmania 1855. Found a Thomas Hodson shoemaker and convict from New Norfolk who applied to marry Mary Phelan, convict on 5 July 1855. The birth certificate of one of the children (Mary Ann Gough nee Hudson) has her father as Thomas Hudson, shoemaker and mother as Mary Hudson formerly, Wayland. This Child was their only surviving child. If any of this sounds familiar or if anyone can help I would be very pleased to hear from you.
www.nationalarchives.ie Tithe Applotment records has 11 entries for Wayland name in Tipperary - You could also check the Griffiths Valuation records on same site.
www.landedestates.ie will give you information on the Wayland estates in Tipperary.
If you check the Church registers as suggested by Hallmark  you may find a baptism for Mary which would establish if she was Phelan or wayland.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 16 12:13 BST (UK) »
When did Mary Ann arrive in Tasmania and do you have her prison records? These may give additional information to help identify her family.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Curto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 June 17 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Mary Whelan (correct name) was born in Clonmel, convicted of larceny and transported to Tasmania as you stated.
She was in fact my great great grandmother and we have documentary proof of this.
She did marry Thomas Hudson (correct name) and they had 2 children, Mary Ann and Henry Thomas (known as Thomas). Mary Ann married John McNamara in Horsham, Victoria, Australia, and one of the daughters, Catherine (my grandmother), married into the Curtain family.
The Phelan and Wayland spellings are incorrect as is much of the information available and should be disregarded.
Unfortunately, the Stroud family tree includes Mary Whelan but this is also incorrect and can be easily proven. Again, an error copied so many times seems to become a valid truth in ancestry and others.
If you want fuller information, contact me at (*)
John Curtain

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Curto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 17 08:18 BST (UK) »
My apologies - I meant to say the Gough family not Stroud.