Author Topic: Dwnn visitations - Trying to find relationship (Branas Uchaf family).  (Read 1657 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dwnn visitations - Trying to find relationship (Branas Uchaf family).
« on: Friday 19 August 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I have found that in the will of ffoulke Morgan (1636, Cilan, Llandrillo) he refers to 'Maurice Jones' as his nephew and I am having in difficulty in finding out exactly how.

ffoulke Morgan's pedigree is well documented in Dwnn's visitations (vol.2, p. 126) in which he is the son of Morgan ap Robert of Branas Uchaf and his second wife Jane ferch Thomas ab Ieuan ap Robert Chwith. For a visual pedigree of Dwnn's visitations see: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3ZDW-981

He is the only son recorded on the visitations and I had wondered perhaps if he had a second John, the father of Morris - though this is not recorded in the pedigree.

The only possibility from the visitations seems his half-sister Anne who married a John David ap John, though it is hard to pin him down.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dwnn visitations - Trying to find relationship (Branas Uchaf family).
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 16 10:41 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this will help, but Griffith's Pedigrees mentions a Humphrey ap Morgan ap Robert of Branas who married Margaret, daughter of John Wynn, H.S.M 1577-86, and Jane of Plas Rhiwlas. He is not mentioned in the printed version of Dwnn.

You may have seen these:-
There is a will of Watkin Jones, son of Elin Ffoulkes of Cilan, in 1682. Elin is mentioned in the will of Catherine Jones of Cilan, also 1682.
Elin's will is 1719, so the dates may not fit.

David

P.S. Elin Foulkes is mentioned as the daughter of Katherine Meirricke - will of 1677

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dwnn visitations - Trying to find relationship (Branas Uchaf family).
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
David,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes I have come across these wills - Maurice Jones' son Gabriel Jones married Ellen ffoulkes (John ffoulkes of Cilan's heiress) and that's how Cialn ended up with that family - Catherine and Watkin both died young - Ellen ffoulkes was born around 1630-40.

I think ffoulke Morgan must have been Maurice's maternal uncle, through a sister that is unnamed. The visitations only mention one child (ffoulke Morgan) of Morgan ap Robert's second marriage to Jane ferch Thomas...and I'm sure there must have been another daughter but just can't find anything to prove it!

Nevertheless many thanks for your help!