Author Topic: Is the child called Richard? 1626 BAPTISM.  (Read 714 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Is the child called Richard? 1626 BAPTISM.
« on: Friday 19 August 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
(see attached image)

(THIRD ENTRY DOWN)

I have this baptism that I've just come across - for a child of William Milner/Millner. The baptism is at Rotherham Minster in Yorkshire, 17 Sep 1626. The transcription (on FindMyPast) says that the child's name is 'Richard', but I can't make out Richard at all! (Maybe I'm just not used to old writing!).

Can the rootschat community make out Richard for the name of the child?

As always, your help is really appreciated.
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is the child called Richard? 1626 BAPTISM.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, definitely Richard.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
Yes I see Richard too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick responses Nell and Carol.
The more I look at it, the more I see Richard, but I still can't make out the 'ch' in  the middle of the name yet - saying that, I'm not used to looking at records this old ::)

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
The c looks more like a straight line and the h has a curl that down below the line.

It takes some getting used to.  Sometimes looking at the whole word and what it might or ought to be in the general context is better than looking at individual letters.  That leads to crossed-eyes  ;D

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Just to reiterate what the others have said - it is Richard.

The third letter that looks like an 'r' to us, is how they wrote 'c', and the long curly letter below the line is how an 'h' was written - sometimes with no ascender as we would expect, as in this case. Then an 'a', then the letter we would see as a 'w' is in fact how an 'r' was written, then the 'd' is very badly formed in this case.
Just got to forget everything you ever knew as 'English', and look at it as if it was a foreign language!  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 August 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nell and Goldie61, think I better get some practicing in!  ;D

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 August 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
Just to reiterate what the others have said - it is Richard.

The third letter that looks like an 'r' to us, is how they wrote 'c', and the long curly letter below the line is how an 'h' was written - sometimes with no ascender as we would expect, as in this case. Then an 'a', then the letter we would see as a 'w' is in fact how an 'r' was written, then the 'd' is very badly formed in this case.
Just got to forget everything you ever knew as 'English', and look at it as if it was a foreign language!  ;)

Now I see it, thank you very much for that  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands