Author Topic: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?  (Read 17228 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 20 October 16 03:12 BST (UK) »
Nice summary Mark, although I'd assumed - wrongly it seems - that 1797 was his death and he'd simply been discharged from the original Boyne on that date.

It will be interesting to hear what the archives have to say about the petition, but perhaps its worth re-posting the snippets and the other information separately to see if any experts can shed any further light on them.  Seaweed is usually the 'local expert' on all things maritime.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 20 October 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the replies.

Jomot, it seems the Boyne's cannons must have been left primed to fire when the Boyne was abandoned. As the unmanned canons opened fire on ships nearby and other boats in the rescue.

Thank you dobfarm and Claire, re other possible Hoods.

The shipping element of the research, Sunderland / Hartlepool / North Shields is interesting.

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 30 December 16 07:08 GMT (UK) »
https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE111999

The records of the Gateshead company of Drapers, tailors, mercers, handwaremen, coopers, and chandlers

Statement of Responsibility:

edited by Edwin Dodds
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 30 December 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thanks for the link.

It's searchable, but quite surprised, no Hoods. Also no Hoods in the book index, or the supplement index.

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
As assumed George Hood's born circa 1785/1787 - thus at 21 years of age with a skill  ??? in say average year 1807 +/- a year.  We have 2 known George hood's - one Gateshead 1786 (no infant or adult burial found or as an adult marriage for the Gateshead George Hood.) as an infant and another in Selby 1812 on the land tax.

Question of food for thought - where were the two George's (or one of the same)  ??? on the land tax 1806 and years to 1811
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

I was looking at the images of the copy Muster Rolls of the "Centurion".

Where the copy signatures for the "Centurion" are, it says:-
a) Mr Hood and has been signed by Thos Hewson.
b) John Hood's age is fluctuating too much on the "Centurion" 1788 to 1790, as though Hewson is guessing.
c) Subsequent Muster Rolls of the "Centurion also signed by Hewson, have left HOOD's birthplace blank.

John HOOD didn't fill in the Muster Rolls of the "Centurion", but have been filled in by someone guessing John Hood's age & signed by the Thos Hewson (on HOOD's behalf), likely of Hewson & Co., Hull.

The Abode of John Hood is either given as Hull or Selby, in all the rolls.

I'm afraid the only thing confirmed is that John Hood, Master Mariner, born Scarborough resided at both Hull and Selby 1780s.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps, a bit too early for me to chip this in, but this might be Robert Hood's father?

Found this earlier in the newspaper ... Robert Hood, D. D., from Brampton, who apparently died early 1780s. Late Minister of the Chapel in Hanover Square, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Hanover Square Chapel
A Descriptive and Historical Account of the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne, Including the Borough of Gateshead.
by E. Mackenzie
p.370
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CPsVAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA385&lpg=PA385&dq=newcastle+upon+tyne+and+Gateshead+presbyterian+%22Hanover+Square+chapel%22&source=bl&ots=ZSHeMt1uS9&sig=1DLOmBP4OoNOUwTn9Uckx9bK5sE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0spHvlqvPAhWLKsAKHdmRBLcQ6AEIITAD

Family Search ...
Presbyterian births and baptisms, Newcastle upon Tyne : Association Congregation of the Close, 1752-1837, indexed : Hanover Square Chapel, 1752-1859, indexed : Clavering Place Chapel, 1802-1837, indexed

Brampton Presbyterian Church, Cumberland
Records 1712 - 1950, Catalogue Reference DFCP 1, at the Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle

Thank you for the inputs so far, I'm wondering if my George Hood is linked to John Hood, Mariner and with links to the Hood Newcastle Presbyterians?

It would certainly explain no George Hood Selby Parish burial!

Kind regards Mark

EDIT: Robert Hood the Minister appears to have arrived in Newcastle 1780, to replace Samuel Lowthion.

Hello

Inverness Courier 29th May 1823
At Hutton Manse, on the 12th instant, Mary Hood, relict of the late Rev Robert Hood, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, D.D.

The Durham County Advertiser newspaper says Hutton, Dumfries-shire and he was formerly Minister of the Hanover Square Chapel, Newcastle.

Rev. Robert Hood was from Brampton, Cumbria (next County to Dumfries & Galloway).

Interesting, the death notice of Mary Hood was in the Inverness Courier.

In 1782 a John Hood had sailed the Mary of Inverness back to Newcastle Quay, so an Inverness link.

----------

The Goldie Hoods of Hessle near Hull, were from Dumfries and also an Inglis Goldie was a witness in the Will of Thomas Hood Bentley, Captain and Master Mariner.

----------

Sunderland
Also ordered the 1865 Death Certificate of James Hood, District of Sunderland.

Because James Hood of Selby, had recently lived at Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland, where James Alfred Hood was born 1863. Although James Hood of Selby, appears to be back or visiting Selby when their next child was registered in 1865 (same Qtr), before moving to Scarborough.

Robert Hood from Newcastle to Sunderland - 1786
BNA online - Newcastle Courant 7 October 1786 - Robert Hood from Newcastle wishes to acquaint his friends and the public, that he has entered upon the King's Head Inn, SUNDERLAND.

Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 08 September 19 23:48 BST (UK) »
bapt 1744 John son of John Hood ??? in Gateshead

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Durham archives Catalogue

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10527/Search-the-Catalogue

Clayton and Gibson ?

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11111?SearchType=Param&Variations=N&Keywords=john+hood&ImagesOnly=N&ItemID=165307

Ref: D/CG 19/39

22 - 23 January 1749/50
2) John Hood ??? of Newcastle upon Tyne, hoastman

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10924?SearchType=Param&Variations=N&Keywords=john%20hood&ImagesOnly=N

hoastman ~ defined

member of a former guild of tradesmen responsible for loading and shipping coal in Newcastle upon Tyne

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/hoastman

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hello

dobfarm you are quite correct regarding the Hoastman traders.

John Hood and Anthony Hood were both Hoastmen at Newcastle. See the yellow extracts from a Table in a book (attachment on Reply 594)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.msg6609225#msg6609225

Also I'm told the business and hospitality of these Coal Trading Merchants would likely be conducted in a Public House or Inn. Possibly the old Pub the Ship, South Shore, Gateshead. Perhaps John Hood, Publican of the Ship 1787 was related to the Hood Hoastmen?

Also placing the Land Tax transcriptions side by side (1789 & 1811) suggests Representatives of A. Hood Esq took over the same premises once occupied by John Hood in 1789. Reply 593 at the bottom of page ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.msg6609041#msg6609041

----------

Are you thinking, what I have been thinking, that one of the possibilities could be that John Hood the Father of Geo Hood, baptised 1st October 1786 Gateshead might be related to a Hoastman.

Apparently some Publicans of old, did have other earning sidelines, or possibly we have two John Hoods in the Gateshead area, or even a visiting John Hood, Agent or Mariner.

Admin 4th February 1760 to Isabella Hood, Widow & Relict of John Hood, Hoastman, deceased ...

Mark