Author Topic: Algeo family revisited.....  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Puzzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Algeo family revisited.....
« on: Saturday 20 August 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
I have posted before on the subject of my Grandmother's family, the Algeos but despite hours if internet research I admit I am not a great deal wiser.
The things I am positive about are:
My Great-Grandfather, John Algeo was the eldest son of Lewis Algeo Esq of Glenboy, Manorhamilton.
He was born about 1848 in Enniskillen, or that is what he said.
He left Ireland for Liverpool after " a row with his father" and they never communicated again.
I have picked him up as a Bootmaker in Liverpool in 1871 when he would be about 23.  He married Ellen Minehan and went on to be a fairly successful leather dealer and boot/shoe maker.

My Great-grandfather John's brother was the Rev. Lewis Walter Algeo who was drowned off the Donegal coast, this is where things get complicated and I am totally stuck.  Theoretically this cannot be possible as I am pretty sure the Lewis Algeo, their father, born about 1811 didn't marry until 1858 and his marriage certificate says he was a bachelor, previously unmarried.  ( Also 22 but I take this to mean if marriageable age, rather than his actual age - is this correct?)He married Mary Elizabeth Catherine Johnston, daughter of a Rector. I am assuming this is my Lewis Algeo, his father was certainly John Algeo (which explains GG'pa's name) and after a lot of research, his mother Elizabeth Ann.
There were also two brothers, Robert Algeo who ended up as a surveyor for Anglesey ( plenty of family stories/letters to back this, and John who I think was a sea captain and died in Sydney in 1847, both he and Robert were unmarried.

I have family history and letters which back of some of this and have uncovered documentation for the rest.  However I am no nearer finding out exactly John's parentage, other than his father being Lewis Algeo Esq of Glenboy, a farmer.  I am leaning towards the fact he may have been illegitimate, there is no record anywhere of his birth, and following his father's marriage to a highly respectable lady when he was getting on a bit he was cast into the shadows, he would have been 10 at the time, and 12 when his brother the Rev Lewis was born.  When the Rev married, the newspaper announcements make a point of him being 'the only son of Lewis Algeo Esq, JP of Glenboy'.

If anyone can throw any light on this I would be so grateful, I am tearing my hair out and have reams of notes and references but can make no sense of it all, thank you!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Algeo family revisited.....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 16 15:21 BST (UK) »

Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of Robert Algeo of Hollymount, Co. Leitrim and to his grandson, Capt. Henry James Algeo of Ballybrack, Co. Dublin, youngest and only surviving son of Robert Newcomen Algeo of London, June 6, 1863.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms. 109, pp. 15-6

-----------------

Marriage settlement of W. Johnston and Lewis Algeo, Jan. 6, 1780

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, D. 18,816
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
http://www.familysearch.org

Rev Lewis Algeo late of Rectory Ardara county donegal, died 23.5.1903, granted at Londonderry to Florence Harriet Algeo the widoe effect £1,202 10s and 3d.

I also found he died Loughros Point, Donegal

also he was on of the patronage of sport in donegal

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
family search, Lewis Algeo died 1903 age 92 manorhamilton

Minehan is spelt on family search as Minahan they were married in 1875 at St Silas church liverpool.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 16 18:56 BST (UK) »
family search, Lewis Algeo died 1903 age 92 manorhamilton

Minehan is spelt on family search as Minahan they were married in 1875 at St Silas church liverpool.
His wife died June 4 1801
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/leitrim/photos/tombstones/leitrim-old-cloonclare/target3.html

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Oct. 17S7  Marriage Lewis Algeo = Jane Ramage, y. d. of Benj. Ramage,  Millbrook, Co. Monaghan, at Cherrybrooke, Co. Leitrim

Robert Algeo.=Miss Whitlaw,  Sept. 1772

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
Marriage settlement of W. Johnston and Lewis Algeo, Jan. 6, 1780

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, D. 18,816

ROSSORRY. 

1847. Robert Johnston, coll. Aug. 17 (D.R.) Son of Rev. William J., b. in Co. Leitrim,
ent. T.C.D. Jan. 1,1816, aged 17, ed. by Dr. Burrowes, B.A. 1820, was C. Aughnamullen,
in 1843, C. Drum 1842-7, m. and had issue.

His eldest dau. Mary Eliz. married. Nov. 3, 1868, Lewis Algeo, J.P., of Glenboy, Co. Leitrim. He res. Rossory 29 June, 1874. Disestablishment Annuity 288 4s. 8d. He d. Dec. 24, 1874, at Wellington Place,
Enniskillen, aged 76.