Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 118341 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #441 on: Friday 18 November 16 19:10 GMT (UK) »

Well I think it's worth a shot  :)

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #442 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

Back to business: Regarding 1891 census of Charles Hood and his visitor Emma Hirst. I noticed that several of Charles Hoods children were born in Castleford., four or so miles from Ledsham. In the 1861 census there is an EMMA HIRST in Castleford with family that I'm looking into, birth a few years out, but worth checking do you think ?

42 Bridge Street, Castleford.

Thomas Skinner hd mar butcher bn Nettleton, Lincs
Sarah              wf                    " Castleford Yorks
EMMA HIRST sister in law 22, post office clerk bn Castleton Yorks
John Henry Skinner, son 1                            "        "         "

Class: RG 9; Piece: 3438; Folio: 113; Page: 26

Hi Claire and All

Found (part 1881) Census for Emma Hirst, born Ledsham, a Visitor in 1891 with Charles Hood, born Selby.

Free BMD (details below).

Any other links to Hood, or Hood witnesses, or Hood in Census households of Emma Tindall, please?

Residence 30 Beancroft St., Castleford

Joseph G Hirst, born Hailsham 1855
Emma Hirst, born Ledsham 1854
Amy Hirst, born Castleford 1878
Oliver Hirst, born Castleford 1881

Possible Marriage Jan - Mar Quarter 1877, Tadcaster District

Joseph Goulton Hirst
Emma Tindall

Thanks, Mark

CHARLES HOOD of SELBY
Reply #50 - 53
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.45

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

James Goulton Hirst and Emma Tindall Marriage Certificate has no Hood witnesses.  Emma's parents were George and Jane (nee Horsfield) - no Hood witnesses
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Goughy.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Sunday 26 March 17 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Selby Land Tax of 1809, it seems George Hood might not have taken over directly from Richard Gibson.

Looking at a Phillip or Philip Holmes as a possible in 1809 (before Rich'd Gibson got his Bankruptcy, Certificate of Conformity in 1810).

Phillip Holmes of Selby was a Victualler & Inn Keeper of the Granby, Selby in 1800 (also seems to be called Granby Head at Selby).

Apparently his wife Sarah Holmes was buried at Selby 3 August 1810.

When and where was Phillip Holmes buried please?

Thanks Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Sunday 26 March 17 00:25 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial of a Philip Holmes at Selby Abbey 3 April 1814 aged 63
Abode : Holme in Spalding Moor

There is also a probate record for this man too.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Sunday 26 March 17 00:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial of a Philip Holmes at Selby Abbey 3 April 1814 aged 63
Abode : Holme in Spalding Moor

There is also a probate record for this man too.

Thanks Claire

Any Will online anywhere, please?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Sunday 26 March 17 00:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage by Licence in 1771 in Maltby (the only one showing on F M P )

Philip Holmes of Thorne and Sarah HEPWORTH 26 Feb. 1771

Both signed
Witnesses: William Wasteney and John Jeweson

EDIT: Two baptisms for a Phillip Holmes. First one in Huddersfield 1748 son of Isaac - can marry this guy off, baptisms of his children and have his burial.

The second guy - baptism in Wath upon Dearne 13 September 1768 aged 17 years (bn1751) ~ no parents listed.

Can find one possible baptism of a daughter Mary in THORNE 1772, father Philip a flax dresser. Then nothing in Yorkshire: possible baptism of daughter Elizabeth in Lincolnshire.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Sunday 26 March 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks Claire.

The Holmes link to Marshall been mentioned before, with refs to Hood of Knottingley ...

On Part 2, page 8 of the George Hood Burial ... thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742805.63

---------------

Also Philip Holmes mentioned regarding a dwelling house at Selby "To be Sold or Lett" (sic) advert (Leeds Int. 24 February 1800)

---------------

Nottinghamshire

Phillip Holmes had property and might also have family in Nottinghamshire?
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/275a4c03-1b7b-4788-af99-132122cd5b12

Deeds: 6 & 7 April 1792
Copy: 22 Dec. 1795

1) Phillip Holmes of Selby Yorks., victualler & wife Sarah.
2) John Dixon of Clarbrough farmer.
3) John Bingham of Clarbrough farmer, trustee.

For £570 (1) to (2) & (3) 1 messuage & orchard etc., Barcroft close (4a.), Shoulder of Mutton close (1a.) & Meadows close (1a.) in occ. John Dixon; & cottage & orchard etc. in occ. Wm. Allen. Boundaries given. Covenant to levy a fine. Paper

-----------------

Hull History Centre Calalogue Only
Papers of the Forbes Adam / Thompson / Lawley (Barons Wenlock) Family of Escrick

/18/145 dated 11-12 February 1795 Assignment of Mortgage as U DDFA/18/139

(i) Smithson Tenant of the Temple, London esq. (only child of Mary Tennant as U DDFA/18/139). (ii) John Stagg now of Ackwith House. (iii) John Tate (as U DDFA/18/139) to. (iv) Philip Holmes of Selby innkeeper and (v) John Watson of Selby tanner.

Underneath, in the Hull H.C. catalogue descriptions is a:- Copy of Phillip Holmes Will and some other document descriptions including Procter of Selby, Tate of Selby, Thompsons and a Cowling.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&hl=en-GB&q=%22Philip+Holmes+of+selby%22&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr0uWi7_PSAhVoC8AKHcMMAcEQBQgWKAA&biw=962&bih=601#spf=1

Comments

Strange a Cowling came up recently for me on family search but never noted it, so retracking and the Thompson name is now haunting me, regularly in numerous searches!

Do you recall the Samuel Hood Barber and Surgeon from Selby burial at Thorganby 1st July 1737, well, some Tate Hood burials came up there too?

Interesting that the Philip Holmes link to Marshall has come up before. The Probate Index, says Holmes Philip of Selby but at Holme Spalding moor? (Also see below).

John and Sarah Hood of Selby, Tanner

The daughter Clara Richardson Hood, of my 3 X Gt. Grandparents married a Marshall (Clara Richardson Marshall). Sarah Hood's Grandson in 1881 was given as Harold Hudson Marshall.

James Marshall Son-in-Law of deceased was present at the death of my 3 X G. G'mother Sarah Hood (nee Richardson) when she died at Holme on Spalding Moor 30 June 1886 at Holme, aged 66, widow of Independent Means.

Regards Mark