Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119381 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #504 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
On Ships, Docks and Warehouses

-------------

Noted a Thomas Shepley (Shipley) a brewer in Selby Jan 1807 went bankrupt same year as R Gibson 1807, this follow on  effect if Gibson lost a contract with this bankrupt brewer or was owed money from T Shepley and was a reason Gibson went bust also..

Thanks dobfarm

Got note/s from newspaper/s re Shepley of Selby, a Brewer and his Brewery.

I'll look it/them out.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #505 on: Saturday 17 June 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hello

Say for example, that my George Hood of Selby is not the Nephew of Richard Gibson of Selby, Cooper, late of Newcastle upon Tyne ...

but a more distant relation, although still related to the Gibsons of Newcastle via the John Hood of 'All Saints without walls' ... , Mariner = Elizabeth Gibson, Spinster, 1779 Marriage.

--------

Because there may be a Gibson connection, I've acquired this later Deed and Plan for my collection (attached) and I get the feeling that John Cook (dau Elizabeth Cook, John Cook 1773 Will and the 1817 Administration with reference to Brown; the Ridleys (see attached Plan) and reference to Jane Spencer - Durham documents online); Charles John Pearson of Gateshead (and his predecessor) and Hood are all tied up to Gibson of Newcastle likely Thomas Gibson (probably Thos Gibson the Banker) who incidentally has a number of illegitimate children.

--------

According to the following 1851 document description a Robert Hood of Lower Seymour Street, Middlesex, Surgeon seems to own land at Whickham, along with Charles John Pearson.

It would be interesting to discover who Robert Hood was?

22 February 1851
(1) Robert Leadbetter of Newcastle upon Tyne, gent.
(2) Robert Hood of Lower Seymour Street, Middlesex, surgeon
(3) Charles John Pearson of Gateshead, builder

(4) The Rt. Hon. Thomas Henry, Baron Ravensworth

Conveyance and appointment by (1) (2) and (3) to (4) of a field called the Heep at Whickham 8a.1r.4p. Recites previous deeds Consideration: £830 to (1), £170 to (3)
(1 file)

According to an earlier document description of 1820 Thomas Gibson, Ridley (various Ridleys linked to Cook in the above Will Admin) AND Robert Pearson are in a property deal, along with the bank of 'Ridley, Bigge, Gibson and Company'.

Ridleys are mentioned in John Cook's 1773 Will, Admin 1817.

18 July 1820
(1) William Greenwell, late of Kibblesworth, now of Newcastle upon Tyne, Esq.
(2) William Boyd of Newcastle upon Tyne, banker
(3) Sir Matthew White Ridley, Baronet, Charles William Bigge, Thomas Gibson, and Thomas Hanway Bigge, copartners with (2) in the banking firm of Ridley, Bigge, Gibson and Company
(4) Sir Thomas Henry Liddell of Ravensworth Castle, Baronet
(5) George Baker of Elemore, Esq.
(6) Robert Pearson of Newcastle upon Tyne, Esq.

Draft release by (1) to (5) of Kibblesworth Grange and fields as specified (42a.1r.36p) and allotments (23a.0r 32p) on Blackburn Fell, reserving minerals, upon the trusts of the will of Sir Henry George Liddell, Bart Assignment by (2) to (6) of the residue of a term of 5000 years upon trust to attend the freehold. Declaration that the purchase money is part of £90,000 produced by the sale of Newton Estate to William Russell. Recites previous deeds Consideration: £3000 by (5) to (3) and (2), and £1000 by (5) to (1)
(1 file)

--------

I also noticed on the Durham documents online that John Cook, Widower, Butcher, had made a Bond and Allegation to marry an Elizabeth Gibson, Spinster, dated May 1757, both of the Chapelry of All Saints.

The John Cook Will (mentioned above) leaves property at Cowgate (north of Fenham / Halls Gate) and Pandon Bank to daughter Elizabeth Cook (parents seem to have died before she could inherit) and the Ridleys are then involved using the 1773 Will, in an 1817 Administration.

According to the Plan some of the Newcastle upon Tyne land, had previously passed into the hands of George Tallentire Gibson.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: Sunday 18 June 17 06:15 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how watermen, mariners, coopers, brewers, tanners, publicans/innkeepers of working or lower middle class would seriously be involved with bankers , Lords, land gentry rich upper crust society

John Hood a mariner-Scarborough married 1765 Eliz Leppington widow nee Spencer who died 1775  -John Hood a waterman Newcastle (married Eliz Gibson 1779)- John Hood a publican at the Ship Inn Gateshead - could all be same chap. Even today trawler men's families have land based businesses like running a pub.

Spencer - Coopers Newcastle trade directories 1778

(George Hood b 1786 Gateshead father John occupation unknown and George Hood a cooper 1815 aged 28 born 1786/7 at marriage to Sarah Russel in Selby earliest known in tax records 1812 in Selby)

Richard Gibson a lower middleclass working businessman cooper in a backstreet yard in Selby with a dad a farmer/labourer from Halls gate Newcastle on Tyne - How he would be involved with said noble people - apart from renting land/ houses -Lord Petre ? . Thomas Gibson from Halls gate probably renting farm and farm land from the Fenham Hall Estate gentry (any records from Fenham Hall estate land management rents may hold info on Thomas Gibson.)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: Sunday 18 June 17 12:03 BST (UK) »

Newcastle Journal, 22 Sep 1832
In this town, in Pandon Bank, on the 13th inst. Mr Jas. Faddy, jun. aged 30; and on the 19th inst. Mrs Hood, sister of the above.

This book by E. Mackenzie was published 1827 and the part on Ballast Hills cemetery names a John Hood and James Faddy on the same line.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1JvkAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA413&lpg=PA413&dq=%22john+Hood%22+%22James+Faddy%22&source=bl&ots=51NNMLIwUh&sig=lp3NkAz4EU0vE1Gy1Dr8vTrbWks&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtmIy1qcvPAhWrCsAKHblQBK8Q6AEIGzAA

Ballast Hills was a Dissenters Cemetery ...

Thank you dobfarm for your reply.

--------

Hi

Because a John Hood appears on the same line as James Faddy in the 1827 book about Ballast Hills Cemetery, I have been looking further into the 1832 newspaper quote above.

The Hood = Faddy, Marriage cannot be found on Family Search.

The Durham County Advertiser, 5 October 1832, confirms her full name as Mrs Jane Hood
At Newcastle, in Pandon Bank, 20th ult., aged 26, Mrs Jane Hood.

Discovered from Family Search that Jane Hood was born Jane Faddy - Newcastle All Saints 9 October 1806 (Baptism 4 December 1806). Parents were James Faddy and Sarah Sophia (also given on FS as) Sarah SCOTT.

Although the Hood = Jane Faddy, Marriage is not on Family Search, I found this:-

Durham Chronicle, 10 September 1825
At Jarrow, on the 16th ult., Mr Adam Hood, Baker, to Miss Jane Faddy, both of Newcastle.

I should be interested in the Witnesses at the Marriage?

Adam Hood was the Son of James Hood, Baker of the Quay Side, Newcastle. [When Isabella died aged 70, the Widow of Mr James Hood, Baker, her residence was Westgate Street - according to the Durham Co. Advertiser 6 April 1849] ...

Newcastle Courant, 14 May 1841 (and in N. Journal of the 15th)
At Gateshead Fell, on the 8th inst. aged 38, Adam, son of Mr James Hood, late baker on the Quay Side.

According to the Newcastle Association for Prosecution of Fellons lists, the Baker changed from James Hood to Adam Hood 1838 / 1839.

This appears to be the death of James Hood, the Baker, as the street given, was the same as that of his Widow, Isabella
Newcastle Journal, 3 July 1847
At Croft, on the 29th ult. aged 76, Mr James Hood, of Westgate Street, in this town.

Because of the book about the burials at Ballast Hills Cemetery and the John Hood and James Faddy burials, there is a slight and unconfirmed suggestion that John Hood buried there, might be linked to James Hood & Adam Hood, Bakers?

I would be most interested to know more about the Adam Hood = Jane Faddy 1825 Marriage.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the images are online in regards to the marriage but a transcript is.

St Pauls Jarrow

Adam Hood married Jane Sophia Faddy 16 Aug. 1825

Witnesses: Thomas Sheldon and Jane Dodds. ~ think these were possibly church officials - witnessed quite a few marriages either side of this marriage.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: Sunday 18 June 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Claire. Just goes to show, that Family Search have some events to index.

"of this Parish" is a joke. The newspaper and my research shows they were both from Newcastle upon Tyne.

Durham Chronicle, 10 September 1825
At Jarrow, on the 16th ult., Mr Adam Hood, Baker, to Miss Jane Faddy, both of Newcastle.

--------

According to a recently published book, it seems that even Captain James Cook a non-Quaker was being mentioned in either the Scarborough and/or Whitby Quaker Minutes, according to the catalogue refs given.

In view of George Hood, being buried in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground (per York Quakers) as a Not in Membership, the next step is for Mrs H and I to have a visit to Leeds and see if the Quaker Minutes were discussing my ancestor and what if anything was said.

Jonathan Hutchinson (besides Andrew Turton, Sexton) has also signed the George Hood Burial Note (form).

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Been through the census - it's a PETER HOOD GP who is resident at Lower Seymour Street from 1841 right until his death. He is however the son of a ROBERT HOOD who we have dealt with before

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754237.0

onwards from dobfarm's post #2

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: Sunday 18 June 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Been through the census - it's a PETER HOOD GP who is resident at Lower Seymour Street from 1841 right until his death. He is however the son of a ROBERT HOOD who we have dealt with before

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754237.0

onwards from dobfarm's post #2

Thanks Claire

Are you saying that the Peter Hood (you found Claire) is the Son of Robert Hood, Surgeon (mentioned in my post Reply # 505 above), is the same Peter Hood 1808  nonconformist Parents Robert Mary (Sinclair) in dobfarm's post?

The Thompson surname is in my deed photo above and your Wedding extract too.

--------

My Grandfather owned a smallholding farm and looking at the earlier 1873 Norfolk Return of Owners of Land (exceeding more than 1 acre) all the land in that village was owned by three THOMPSONS.

Obviously, made enquiries, but no helpful reply yet.

Coincidentally, a Mr Slipper was one of the 19th Century village farmers.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: Sunday 18 June 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

I cannot find a Robert Hood surgeon full stop at Lower Seymour Street. Is it a coincidence there is a Peter Hood surgeon at an address there born 1808 Gateshead. I have searched BMD's - the only Peter Hood born at this time and at Gateshead is the son of Robert Hood and Mary Sinclair.

A document to show address of Peter from his son's Freedom of the City document