Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119144 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #576 on: Saturday 30 September 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you Claire.

I was misled a bit, by that internet link which suggested Thomas Gibson Pearson was born Shields 1801.

But he was not baptised at Shields at all, according to investigation and B.T. copies of Monk Hesleden Parish (previous page).

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #577 on: Saturday 28 October 17 01:14 BST (UK) »

I can't see a marriage of an Elizabeth Jackson to a John Hood.

It would be interesting if we could find the children of William Cook and Elizabeth Hood, and where they ended up. Children - Eleanor, Rosamund, William and Elizabeth.

Thanks to the other thread someone started I feel fairly sure Eleanor married as Ellen Cook in London to a George William Bentley. Her two sons were both given the middle name Hood and her daughter was a Elizabeth Rose Bentley who went on to marry a William Cotter, who ran his own business as a Flour Carman.

Hi Claire,

James Cockin & Mary Turr, Thorne, 2 August 1791, by Banns,

Its a very long shot, but thinking 1812 was George's first appearance in Selby, little known about him to 1815 when he married Sarah Russel with Witness James Cockin and seems the earliest surname to be linked to George. There has been some searches done on Cockin surname but if James Cockin,s wife was ? Mary Turr, the link to George's marriage 1815 could be from the Turr surname or George could be a relative of Mary Turr

BENTLEY AND COCKIN FAMILY RECORDS

Comprising: records relating to Cockin family and Bentley, including miscellaneous photographs, memoranda and papers

DZMD/423 Doncaster Archives

DZMZ/45 Doncaster archives

DONCASTER, BALBY, BURGHWALLIS AND THORNE NON-PAROCHIAL REGISTERS, 1761-1837

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: Friday 12 January 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

I have found and tried to get a copy of the Will of Thomas HOOD BENTLEY, held in the Hong Kong University Special Collections.

The University Special Collections have responded to me in the UK and the Will is part of their Collections protected by Hong Kong Copyright Law. However, it seems one could see the Will, under the provisions of the Hong Kong 'self service' rules by actually visiting Hong Kong in person.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
It would appear Richard Gibson is paying land tax in Burton Salmon & Wistow from 1782 to 1799 on various properties of land

Properties  owners Mr Scott, Mr Robinson and his own property under Richard Gibson

Then Richard Gibson Appears in Selby 1800 in property of Lord Petre to 1811.

1812 George Hood

Hello

Please could someone double check if it says RICHARD GIBSON or GILSON, at Burton Salmon 1799 and several years before, in the Land Tax images?

Leeds Intelligencer, 13th & 20th May 1799
BURTON - SALMON.
To be SOLD by AUCTION,
At the House of Mr Jenkinson, the Fox Inn, at Brotherton,
A Desirable FREEHOLD ESTATE, situate at Burton Salmon,

The Premises are occupied by Mr Richard Gilson, the Owner,
who will shew the same ; and of which further particulars may be had.

Both adverts say Richard GILSON.

Could be a 1799 newspaper typesetting error? But worth a double check in the Land Tax images 1799 and several years before, please?

Thanks Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The entries definitely say GIBSON. He owns/occupies land from 1782. I think if this is your Richard Gibson he would only be 16 years old in 1782, I would have thought a bit young to be owning property.

In the later Land Tax records for Selby it seems Richard Gibson is paying Ld Petre for occupying two properties ( one in Brayton township) - possibly two R Gibsons in the area ?

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: Monday 15 January 18 01:37 GMT (UK) »

The entries definitely say GIBSON. He owns/occupies land from 1782. I think if this is your Richard Gibson he would only be 16 years old in 1782, I would have thought a bit young to be owning property.

Hi

Thanks Claire. That puts me in Quandary, if it is unlikely to be the Richard Gibson of interest.

Ordering a property Registration unlikely to help, if wrong Gibson.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: Thursday 18 January 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Richard GILSON of Burton Salmon, 1799. The Land Tax document of Burton Salmon says Richard GILSON in 1799, (not Richard GIBSON).

----------

In B 5 Office of the Commissioners of Bankrupts and Court of Bankruptcy: Bankruptcy Enrolment Books 1807 (but no index til 1825, which is in B 8 after 1825).

B 7 Office of the Commissioners of Bankrupts, ... Minute Book 28 April 1807 - 29 April 1808, Note: Indexed

TNA guide says there may be a "minimal" amount of additional information, than that published in the L.G.

Hello

You are not going to believe this:-   ???

But the Minute Volume in the B 7 series (TNA) containing any possibility of a Minute relating to the March/April 1810 'Certificate of Conformity' issued for Richard Gibson, late of Selby, Cooper, seems to be MISSING?

The Bankruptcy Minute Volumes, also known as Minute Orders in Bankruptcy
B 7/20 commences 13th April 1807 and ends April 1808 (dates in the volumes, used)
B 7/21 commences 16th August 1811 and ends 13th November 1812.

B 7/21 "Minute Orders in Bankruptcy 16 August 1811 and Ending 13 November 1812" also marked "Lord Ch'r" on the end does contain a Gibson on page 152 in the index, but I need the Minute Orders March / April 1810.

page 152

Gibson
Mr Cullen for Pet.
S. Romilly for Bkt Let Cert'e pass
Liberty to call
a meeting at
Expense of Pet.

[Looking at others Pet. is likely the Petitioner and Bkt. is Bankrupt]

No date, but this "Gibson" is probably not the Richard Gibson of interest, as it is in 1811 to 1812 Volume and I need the 1810 Minute volume.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: Thursday 18 January 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Looks like S. Romilly mentioned (last post) might be the senior figure in the Bankruptcy Commissioners and involved in the Law making process ...

Sir S. Romilly's Act, by which it was provided that “the commission of bankrupt and the proceedings of the commissioners under the same, shall be evidence to be received” of the debt, trading ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sDdfAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA370&lpg=PA370&dq=%22S.+Romilly%22+bankruptcy+commissioner&source=bl&ots=2Mj_xTQ_p0&sig=xtUvn7ui635ORgLzlVZ1nawcyrk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid192K1eHYAhXIC8AKHZDXAtgQ6AEwAHoECBMQAQ

A letter to Sir S. Romilly on the revision of the Bankrupt Law
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QTdfAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=%22A+letter+to%22+%22Sir+S.+Romilly%22&source=bl&ots=kj_5zPJuAY&sig=dBcV0YGoXK1WnOlOW0_tZMP9R0A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJrNCV2uHYAhWiD8AKHcCkDmsQ6AEwAXoECBMQAQ

Looks like Mr Cullen was involved in the Bankruptcy process ...
I have " known (says Mr. Cullen) the commissioners decline '' to discharge a bankrupt, even where property was " out of the question, and the assignees and creditors " had disclaimed all further concern, merely ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bJEDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=%22Mr+Cullen%22+bankruptcy+commissioners&source=bl&ots=emKDlKe-dm&sig=kL64uEy1Oh0wQuF9d79cEfYNrEs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMnLGb5-HYAhVDFMAKHfEHBSsQ6AEwBnoECAoQAQ

Sir Samuel Romilly and Mr. Cullen for the Petitioner, Mr. Leach, Mr. Montague, and Mr. Rose, for the Assignees . The Lord Chancellor Overruled the Objection ; the Lessor may, perhaps, waive the Forfeiture, and ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_m0DAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA432&lpg=PA432&dq=%22Mr+Cullen+for+the+Petitioner%22&source=bl&ots=MkAtegGNFV&sig=UeqeC9QSRwZ6Knke0Y3_H_Hhhro&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiv0KaS6eHYAhXJLcAKHYMuAs8Q6AEwAHoECAEQAQ

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Searching for anything on Gibson of Newcastle, as it might help to work out who is who and be useful later.

On an altar-tomb-stone over the family vault:

The burial-place of Thomas and Isabella Gibson of Harton, to whose much respected memory this tomb was erected by their son, Henry Gibson, of Newcastle upon Tyne, Surgeon, 1762.

Also the burial-place of the family of Frederick Horn, of Newcastle on Tyne [grandson of the above Thomas and Isabella Gibson]. Thomasine, his beloved wife, died February the 14th, 1794, aged 31 years, and her remains were interred under this stone. Frederick Horn, surgeon, here interred, died the 6th of August 1808, aged 50 years. Frederick, his son, died Feb. 26, 1816, aged 23 years. Henry Gibson, his son, died Sept. 12, 1816, aged 28 years. Thomasine, his daughter, died Jan. 22, 1817, aged 27 years.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/antiquities-durham/vol2/pp66-93

Mark