Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119042 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #585 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 20:20 BST (UK) »

It would be interesting if we could find the children of William Cook and Elizabeth Hood, and where they ended up. Children - Eleanor, Rosamund, William and Elizabeth.

Thanks to the other thread someone started I feel fairly sure Eleanor married as Ellen Cook in London to a George William Bentley. Her two sons were both given the middle name Hood and her daughter was a Elizabeth Rose Bentley who went on to marry a William Cotter, who ran his own business as a Flour Carman.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=163102.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=106949.msg6431373#msg6431373

From my jotted notes (not detailed) Rosamund married Thomas Abbott of Loders, Dorsetshire & ended up in Guernsey.  Thomas was a master mariner & Rosamund became a Boarding House Keeper.

Hello Jomot, Claire and All

7 January 1837
Rosamund COOK hath resided in Morpeth for 15 days last past, Spinster, aged 21 years and Thomas ABBOTT of the Parish of Loders, Dorsetshire, Bachelor, aged 21 years hath prayed for a Licence.

Interesting that Loders is near Bridport.

My late Grandparents were acquainted with Thomas Selifant and Alice ABBOTT who married in the District of Beauminster in 1907. Some of them were Baptists and my Grandfather was a Baptist. Beauminster Registration District included Bridport & Powerstock, which I recognise as being close to Loders.

I wonder if Alice ABBOTT who married in 1907 was related to Thomas ABBOTT of Loders, who married Rosamund COOK?

Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #586 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 03:13 BST (UK) »
7 January 1837
Rosamund COOK hath resided in Morpeth for 15 days last past, Spinster, aged 21 years and Thomas ABBOTT of the Parish of Loders, Dorsetshire, Bachelor, aged 21 years hath prayed for a Licence.

His Master's Certificate of Service dated 21 May 1867 & issued at Guernsey says he was born Loders in 1807 and that he had been 41 years in the British Merchant Service.  Another, dated 27 Dec 1850 and also issued in Guernsey gives his full DoB as 4 Jun 1807 and 26 years in the service.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
7 January 1837

His Master's Certificate of Service dated 21 May 1867 & issued at Guernsey says he was born Loders in 1807 and that he had been 41 years in the British Merchant Service.  Another, dated 27 Dec 1850 and also issued in Guernsey gives his full DoB as 4 Jun 1807 and 26 years in the service.

Thank you Jomot

Working backward on the Abbotts, from Thomas SELIFANT and Alice SELIFANT [nee Alice ABBOTT] in 1911, gives, so far:-

John ABBOTT and Sarah WARD married 13 August 1826 / 4 September 1826 Allington / Bridport.

My jottings:-

1911 Census
Thomas SELIFANT, Head, Marr, 32 (born abt 1879), Postman, Shoe & Boot Repairer, born Ashwater, Devonshire.
Alice SELIFANT [nee ABBOTT], Wife, Marr, 27 (born about 1884), Birthplace Lyme Regis, Dorset [Registration Dist. Axminster].

1891 Census - Lyme. Axminster Reg'n District
William ABBOTT, 39 (born abt 1852), Mason, Born Dorset.
Lydia ABBOTT, Wife, 37 (born abt 1854), Born Dorset. [nee Lydia Gale]
Laura ABBOTT, 13 (born abt 1878), Born Dorset.
Walter ABBOTT, 11 (born abt 1880) Born Dorset.
Annie ABBOTT, 9, Born Dorset.
Alice ABBOTT, 7 (born abt 1884), Born Lyme, Dorset.
William R. ABBOTT, 3, Born Dorset.
Harry G. ABBOTT, 0, Born Dorset. [Harry Gale Abbott born 1890]

1881 Census - Lyme Regis, Dorset. Axminster Reg'n District
William ABBOTT, Head, Marr, 28 (born abt 1853), Mason, Birthplace Bridport, Dorset.
Lydia ABBOTT, Wife, Marr, 26, Born Netherbury, Dorset.
Laura ABBOTT, Daughter, 3, Born Lyme Regis, Dorset.
Walter ABBOTT, Son, 1, Born Lyme Regis, Dorset.

1861 Census - Allington. Reg'n District Bridport
James ABBOTT, Head, Marr, 30 (born abt 1831), Born Allington, Dorset.
Jane ABBOTT, Wife, Marr, 30 (born abt 1831), Born Allington, Dorset. NEE PAYNE.
William ABBOTT, Son, Un, 9 (born abt 1852), Born Allington, Dorset.
Ellen ABBOTT, Dau, Un, 7 (born abt 1853), Born Allington, Dorset.
Susan ABBOTT, Dau, Un, 4 (born abt 1857), Born Allington, Dorset.
George ABBOTT, Son, Un, 2 (born abt 1859).

James ABBOTT & Jane PAYNE married District of Bridport, 1851

James ABBOTT Bapt 6th July 1831 Allington, Dorset, parents John ABBOTT & Sarah.

1841 Census - Allington
John ABBOTT, 36-40, Born Dorset.
Sarah ABBOTT, 32-36, Born Dorset.
Willm ABBOTT, 14, Born Dorset.
George ABBOTT, 12, Born Dorset.
James ABBOTT, 10, Born Dorset.
John ABBOTT, 7, Born Dorset.
Joseph ABBOTT, 5, Born Dorset.
Benjamin ABBOTT, 3, Born Dorset. [Born in the Reg'n District of Bridport, Mar Qtr 1838 Mother WARD.]
Ann ABBOTT, 1, Born Dorset.

John ABBOTT and Sarah WARD married 13 August 1826 / 4 September 1826 Allington / Bridport.

1. Can't see any ancestral link yet, from Thomas Selifant & Alice Abbott 1907 marriage (known by my Grandparents) back to Thomas ABBOTT of Loders, Dorsetshire, who married Rosamund COOK (Morpeth, Northumberland) in January 1837 ?

2. My Great Grandmother's side was *Samuel Abbott, County Court Bailiff who married Charlotte Foulds 1882, District of Kettering, but can't see any link there either to Alice ABBOTT born Lyme Regis, Dorset 1884 who married Thomas Selifant (known to my Grandparents)?

* ADDED: My ancestor Samuel ABBOTT, County Court Bailiff, (Widow Charlotte), died 1st December 1886 at Kettering, aged 25.
He had married 1882 and died before appearing in the next Census with their children, so I don't have a Birthplace.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

Regarding Samuel Abbott who died December 1st 1886, aged 25, at Kettering [County Court Bailiff when he died].

The Grave Memorial confirms his:-
Father as George ABBOTT dying 28th June 1885, aged 64 years.
Mother as Eliza, Wife of the Above [George ABBOTT] who died 16th April 1901, aged 75 years.

Eliza was nee Eliza PATRICK.

George ABBOTT appears to have been born Finedon.

----------

I cannot see any link yet of my Kettering ABBOTTs, to the Thomas ABBOTT at Loders or ABBOTT of Bridport / Allington, Dorset.

If there is no link, then the Thomas Selifant who married Alice ABBOTT in 1907, known by my Grandfather must be a surname coincidence.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: Thursday 16 August 18 18:08 BST (UK) »

It would be interesting if we could find the children of William Cook and Elizabeth Hood, and where they ended up. Children - Eleanor, Rosamund, William and Elizabeth.

Thanks to the other thread someone started I feel fairly sure Eleanor married as Ellen Cook in London to a George William Bentley. Her two sons were both given the middle name Hood and her daughter was a Elizabeth Rose Bentley who went on to marry a William Cotter, who ran his own business as a Flour Carman.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=163102.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=106949.msg6431373#msg6431373

From my jotted notes (not detailed) Rosamund married Thomas Abbott of Loders, Dorsetshire & ended up in Guernsey.  Thomas was a master mariner & Rosamund became a Boarding House Keeper.

Hello Jomot, Claire and All

7 January 1837

Interesting that Loders is near Bridport.

My late Grandparents were acquainted with Thomas Selifant and Alice ABBOTT who married in the District of Beaminster in 1907. Some of them were Baptists and my Grandfather was a Baptist. Beaminster Registration District included Bridport & Powerstock, which I recognise as being close to Loders.

I wonder if Alice ABBOTT who married in 1907 was related to Thomas ABBOTT of Loders, who married Rosamund COOK?

Mark

Hello All

Jomot & Claire you beauties!

I've been poking about on Family Search / GRO and found this!

1851 - St Peters Port, Guernsey HO 107 2530/32 page 24
Rosamond ABBOTT, Head, Marr, 43, Master Mariner's Wife, Born NORTH SHIELDS.  ;D
William ABBOTT, Son, 11, Scholar, Born BRIDPORT, DORSET.  :D
Elizabeth ABBOTT, Dau, 4, Born Channel Islands.

The only Birth circa 1839 -/+ 2 years, on England & Wales GRO gov.uk for a male ABBOTT with Mother's Maiden Surname COOK was JOHN ABBOTT in the District of Tendring.

However ...

Found a William John ABBOTT, Baptised, 2nd August 1839 AT BRIDPORT, DORSET.  ;D
Father: THOMAS ABBOTT.  :D
Mother: ROSAMOND.   :D

So there is a connection with Thomas & Rosamond ABBOTT to BRIDPORT, DORSET, they have had a Son baptised BRIDPORT.

Rosamond ABBOTT, nee Rosamond COOK 3rd Daughter of William COOK of North Shields Mar'r Native of Lowestoft by his Wife Elizabeth HOOD Native of All Saints, baptised 1807. Marriage 24th January 1804.

----------

My Grandparents HOOD (Baptist & Methodist) were acquainted with Alice ABBOTT and SELIFANT who married 1907. Apparently they married at the Independent Chapel, Beaminster.
https://surname-society.org/william-sillifant/

Alice Abbott was also linked to Abbott of Bridport and Allington near to Bridport (Reply #587).

I am now wondering if my earlier HOODs had known the ABBOTTS in the Bridport area for some time, OR if it was because Selifant's and Abbott's child became a Baptist Deaconess (same Religion as my Grandfather - Baptist).

Thank you, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Baptism

John Hood son of John Hood 12 December 1745

GATESHEAD, DURHAM, ENGLAND

Burial 31st Dec 1800

John Hood age 55 (birth 1745) a Shoemaker abode Blue Quarries entry Heyworth Chapelry

Hello

Thanks dobfarm, the map attached on your quote, shows Heworth, Durham was adjoining Gateshead. 

I've been looking for the Gateshead John Hood, Shoemaker today.

Because those Gibsons are Shoemakers living with and married into the Hoods at Ropery Lane, Sunderland (1841) and 50 Silver Street, Sunderland (1851) & James Hood & Mary Hood, 50 Silver Street (1861) Sunderland, both addresses South of the River Wear.

James Hood of 50 Silver Street, Sunderland was a Seaman 1851 aged 64 and a Mariner aged 68 in the 1861 Census.
(Note in 1851 Sunderland Census the enumerator has written them as Wood).

1851 Sunderland Census & GRO Index - Thomas Hood, aged 26, Shoe Maker, (likely the one late of Ropery Lane 1841 aged 16, Shoem. app.) has married a Jane Fairbairn who was born Scotland, looking at their childrens names and births.

----------

Seems a John Hood appears and disappears in the Gateshead Land Tax.

Q/D/L 2. Gateshead 1789
Property of Mrs. CLARK; occupied by John (Mr.) HOOD

Next a John Hood appears in Monkwearmouth Shore 1813 Land Tax.

17 April 1808
According to the actual Marriage Alleg/Bond (indexed as John Wood), for John Hood, Widower, aged 21, of Monkwearmouth, the young John Hood, Shoemaker, was intending to marry Elizabeth Joyce, aged 21, Widow.

August 1851
A report of an Inquest for John Hood, Shoemaker, aged 45 years, held Sunderland. Another newspaper says he was found near the Low Quay, River Wear.

----------

The James Hood 1865 Death Certificate District of Sunderland, was ordered a week ago. I just hope it might establish a link with James Hood of Selby, somehow (I should be so lucky)! But his wife was probably still alive and I suspect she will be the informant.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Baptism

John Hood son of John Hood 12 December 1745

GATESHEAD, DURHAM, ENGLAND

Burial 31st Dec 1800

John Hood age 55 (birth 1745) a Shoemaker abode Blue Quarries entry Heyworth Chapelry

Hello

Thanks dobfarm, the map attached on your quote, shows Heworth, Durham was adjoining Gateshead. 

I've been looking for the Gateshead John Hood, Shoemaker today.

Because those Gibsons are Shoemakers living with and married into the Hoods at Ropery Lane, Sunderland (1841) and 50 Silver Street, Sunderland (1851) & James Hood & Mary Hood, 50 Silver Street (1861) Sunderland, both addresses South of the River Wear.

James Hood of 50 Silver Street, Sunderland was a Seaman 1851 aged 64 and a Mariner aged 68 in the 1861 Census.
(Note in 1851 Sunderland Census the enumerator has written them as Wood).

1851 Sunderland Census & GRO Index - Thomas Hood, aged 26, Shoe Maker, (likely the one late of Ropery Lane 1841 aged 16, Shoem. app.) has married a Jane Fairbairn who was born Scotland, looking at their childrens names and births.

----------

Seems a John Hood appears and disappears in the Gateshead Land Tax.

Q/D/L 2. Gateshead 1789
Property of Mrs. CLARK; occupied by John (Mr.) HOOD

Next a John Hood appears in Monkwearmouth Shore 1813 Land Tax.

17 April 1808
According to the actual Marriage Alleg/Bond (indexed as John Wood), for John Hood, Widower, aged 21, of Monkwearmouth, the young John Hood, Shoemaker, was intending to marry Elizabeth Joyce, aged 21, Widow.

August 1851
A report of an Inquest for John Hood, Shoemaker, aged 45 years, held Sunderland. Another newspaper says he was found near the Low Quay, River Wear.

----------

The James Hood 1865 Death Certificate District of Sunderland, was ordered a week ago. I just hope it might establish a link with James Hood of Selby, somehow (I should be so lucky)! But his wife was probably still alive and I suspect she will be the informant.

Mark

I'll make this my last thoughts on George Hood's roots:) (maybe some other members can make their views known or see something thats been missed by us. ???)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fact that your George Hood was a Cooper, Brewer and Tanner, (wife a Straw Hat maker business) businessman or self made business builder with no connection in his working life to the sea or maritime (maybe only as a cooper - being vaguely as barrels were used on ships)

Richard Gibson son of a man from Tyneside the bankrupted cooper Wren lane Selby was George's real first known connection to Selby.

Tyneside

Only unaccountable - a definite George Hood baptism son of John Hood in Gateshead 1786 (with unknown/untraceable future life, marriage or his death history of this George Hood that does matches your exact date of birth/baptism search parameters of your George Hood approx. 1784 to 1788)

Now a John Hood in the Gateshead land tax 1789

Its very positive info data dates, but vague as linking - yet shows some promise to research further  ???.

Possible outside chance as trade- shoemakers/cordwainers and tanners worked with leather

Skilled traders in small businesses in close proximity to each other, to a young lad of a trader like a shoemaker as he grows up could lead to him picking up unapprenticed multi trade skills & knowledge in business background.(Gibson's bankrupted [or Gibson's customers goodwill] business) (which seems to sum up George's working life in Selby in later married life  ??? or was the running a business knowledge gained from the straw hat maker -George's wife Sarah Russel & her business connections in Selby or both parties had these self taught management skills to run existing businesses with skilled labour as staff workforce )

------------
George's son James Hood in the North East in census

Good luck ! in your quest!

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Quote from your post

"Seems a John Hood appears and disappears in the Gateshead Land Tax.

Q/D/L 2. Gateshead 1789
Property of Mrs. CLARK; occupied by John (Mr.) HOOD"

(Assume above Mrs Clark could be a widow  ??? being named on the land tax)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DTG3-F62?i=143&wc=SDFL-7M9%3A1310048468%3Fcc%3D2365059&cc=2365059

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg6028821#msg6028821
Reply # 267

extract: - From William Hood's Will/probate 1788 (Shields -Tynemouth)

" to be paid and amongst, my niece Margaret Clark widow of the John Clark late of Bishopwearmouth in the said county cordwainer-deceased " (Leather worker)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: Thursday 01 November 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »

Mark

Hello All

Thanks dobfarm. My word you have been busy looking at those wills - Thank you.

The James Hood Death Certificate has arrived and one of his Gibson relations was present:-
26th August 1865 at 7 Woodbine Street, Sunderland, James Hood, aged 75 years, Seaman Merchant Service, Natural Decay Certified, Mary Jane Gibson Present at the death 7 Woodbine Street Sunderland, registered 28th August 1865.

I can't make any link to James Hood of Selby, who might be back in Selby for the Birth of their next child.

----------

Been looking at the 1787 Gateshead Directory for John Hood, Publican of the Ship, South Shore.

Also for the earliest newspaper adverts I can find for the two Public Houses, South Shore, Gateshead:-
i) one in 1820 was under the Trinity Brewery, Quayside, Newcastle and
ii) in 1822 the other Public House was linked to the High Brewery, North Shields & Mr G. T. Richardson of the Three Indian Kings, Quayside, Newcastle.

(Newcastle & Gateshead Directory 1827
Harle William, & Co. rope makers, 24, Broad chare ; ropery, Mount Greenwich, S. Shore, G.
Harle James, rope maker ; h. South shore, G.)
(Pigot's 1828-9
Tyne Glass Works, Salt Meadows, Gateshead.)

Comparing this Gateshead Land Tax 1789 & 1811 it seems A. Hood Esq., now has the Public House, of John Hood, Publican of the, Ship South Shore, Gateshead in the 1787 Directory.

ADDED
The Ropery, South Shore, was under the Firm of Stoddart and Hood up to June 1797, when it came under Anthony Hood and Co. (see next post).

Gateshead & Other Places Land Tax Returns
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11111?SearchType=Param&Variations=Y&Keywords=baptist&ImagesOnly=N&ItemID=910845

John Hood of Gateshead, Publican, looks to be linked to A. Hood Esq?

If that was my George Hood's baptism at Baptism 1st October 1786 it would certainly explain why he could possibly buy a Coopers business and diversify into Brewing.

Mark