Author Topic: Doynton  (Read 1798 times)

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doynton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 August 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
May I recommend that you try writing to the church in Cold Aston.  Below is a link to the church:-

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/cold-aston-st-andrew/#

Right at the bottom of the page on the right hand side is the word contact us.  If you click on it another page comes up and you can write to them.

Ask if they have baptism records and is it possible to have them searched.  If they don't have them they should be able to tell you where the records are.  Most likely place would be the Records Office in Gloucester.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 August 16 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi avrilw

I have come across the following for my Sarah Gunning but the family is given as:

1. Robert Gunning,   b. Abt 1754, Somerset (prob)   d. 1822, Queen Charlton, Somerset
2. Sarah Gunning,   b. Abt 1755, Somerset (prob)  d. 1783, Queen Charlton, Somerset
3. Job Gunning, b. Abt 1758, Queen Charlton, Somerset (poss) d. 1837, Walcot, Bath, Somerset
4. Martha Gunning,   b. Abt 1760, Somerset (prob)  d. Yes, date unknown
5. Elizabeth Gunning,   b. 1764, Queen Charlton, Somerset    d. Yes, date unknown

Name   Sarah Gunning
Born   Abt 1755 Somerset (prob) Assumed dau of John and Mary and sister of Elizabeth.
Gender   Female
Died   1783 Queen Charlton, Somerset
Buried   9 Nov 1783 St Margaret, Queen Charlton, Somerset

Father   John Gunning,   b. Abt 1730, Somerset (poss)    d. Yes, date unknown
Mother   Mary Gunning (Mrs),   b. Abt 1730, Somerset (poss) d. 1765, Queen Charlton, n  (Age ~ 35 years)

I am now confused as Sarah married in Saltford to Green Ford. [definitely my ancestor] and lived in Queen Charlton, Som.
The trouble is Bristol is placed either in Glos or Som in the records.
There are Gunnings all over the place. They straddle the Glos/Som border.
Will look in Cold Ashton to see if I can trace any early enough.

Regards Wendy47

VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
many thanks for the suggestion to contact Cold Aston Church, I may have to do that.

I have a will/letters of Administration of Thomas Goninge in 1687 and his will dated 1650. He mentions his children Thomas John and George, but I can't find the missing generation in between. I'll keep looking and kook for your tree on Ancestry

Avril

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Avril

I have just picked this up (very much later than you posted it) but if you haven't already discovered it, the village referred to should be Cold Ashton and not Cold Aston.  You will find plenty of Gunnings there.

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.