Author Topic: Kilham marriage.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kilham marriage.
« on: Sunday 21 August 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
My 4x gr grandfather, William Messenger, married Mary Machin on 18th December 1803 at Kilham, Yorkshire.

I am looking for the parents of Mary Machin and also for her birth/baptism dates and if anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kilham marriage.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
any clues on Mary's d.o.b. and p.o.b.

there is a tree on A******* which has William Messenger b1768 Rufford
Married mary machin 25 Jun 1794Arksey Doncaster

then I can find a marriage 18 Dec 1803 Kilham but the bride is just entered as Mary??

Suz 
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 16 12:21 BST (UK) »
according to the tree just mentioned William Messenger (1768) and mary Machin had a son William Messenger b 1798 Badsworth
Could it be him who married Mary ???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

The marriage in Arksey in 1794 was by licence. Mary, whose surname is written as Machine, is stated  to be of this parish, 20 years old and married with the consent of parents. William Messenger is said to be 26 and of the parish of Rufford in Nottinghamshire

Looking at baptisms there is a baptism in Arksey 7 Nov 1773, father Jno. labourer of Bentley.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
In case you have skipped a generation this is the baptism of William Messenger who possibly married a mary in 1803

St Mary the Virgin Badsworth Yks
Baptism -from Parish register image
William Messenger born 12 May 1878
Baptised 8 July 1798
William Messenger son of William Messenger of Thor????? (sorry unable to read) Gentleman . William Messenger son of Joseph Messenger of Swaford? in county of Oxford by Elizabeth, daughter of

son of Mary Machin daughter of John Machin of Bentley in the Parish of Arksey, labourer by the daughter of

Suz

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
As far as I can see the surname re Kilham has been written as Massenger. Baptisms in Kilham for Stephen  and William 14 Nov 1806 and another Stephen 9 Dec 1813. Parents transcribed on familysearch as William Massenger and Mary.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 August 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
In case you have skipped a generation this is the baptism of William Messenger who possibly married a mary in 1803

St Mary the Virgin Badsworth Yks
Baptism -from Parish register image
William Messenger born 12 May 1878
Baptised 8 July 1798
William Messenger son of William Messenger of Thor????? (sorry unable to read) Gentleman . William Messenger son of Joseph Messenger of Swaford? in county of Oxford by Elizabeth, daughter of

son of Mary Machin daughter of John Machin of Bentley in the Parish of Arksey, labourer by the daughter of

There's a typo in the above - William was born 12 May 1798, so couldn't have married in 1803! And the mystery Thor??? place is Thorpe Audlin, which is in the parish of Badsworth.

I'm interested in the Machin connection in Badsworth, as I have one there too: Elisabeth Machin who in 1759 married Richard Hirst, a butcher, and lived in Badsworth from about 1761 until her death in 1806. Elisabeth (born c.1733) was daughter of Thomas Machin (also spelt Makin) of Fairburn in the parish of Ledsham. I know of 6 children born and baptised in Badsworth, plus a further 3 older ones who were buried there, but whose births I haven't found.

I wonder if there was some connection? If so, then possibly your Machin connection might give me a lead as to where else I could look, but mine might give you something to consider too.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
I think the baptism of William Messenger in Badsworth says son of William Messenger of Thorpeaudlin gentleman's servant. (There is also a baptism for an elder brother Joseph).

The marriage of William Massenger in Kilham appears to be on the Yorkshire bts. but the page seems to have been damaged and I certainly find it impossible to read the name of his spouse.

William

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 August 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the postings to my query.

The information that I have for my 3x gr grandfather is :
"From the BTs for Chester le Street.
Benjamin Messenger born 23 May 1805 Lumley Park, Co Durham.  2nd son of William Messenger of Lumley Park, Whipperin, native of Swalcliffe, Oxfordshire, by his wife Mary Magin, native of Hawkshaw, Yorkshire"

From Family Search :
"William Messenger = Mary married 18th December 1803 at Kilham, York."

In the BTs for Chester le Street for their daughter and son the name is spelt as 'Maychin' and 'Magin' and rightly or wrongly I have interpreted this as 'Machin'.

The mention of Benjamin being the 2nd son now leads me to the idea that the William Messenger b 12 May 1798 and identified by Suzard is probably the correct one 

I have to admit that the thought that I may have skipped a generation had not occurred to me and I obviously need to do some more work on that one. 

Wearsider.

UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017