Author Topic: Request for burial information for Margaret McCarroll, died 1908 Lanchester area  (Read 1329 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find any burial information on an ancestor in my family tree called Margaret McCarroll nee Conroy.  Her death was registered in the June quarter of 1908 in the Lanchester district.  Her husband was called James McCarroll.  They were Roman Catholic.  Can anyone help, please?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Request for burial information for Margaret McCarroll, died 1908 Lanchester area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 16 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

They were in Northumberland in 1901.  What was her address when she died as these are all the areas covered by the Lanchester RD

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/lanchester.html

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request for burial information for Margaret McCarroll, died 1908 Lanchester area
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, I do not know where she was living when she died.  All I do know is that her death was registered in Lanchester.  In 1901 she was living in Annitsford in Northumberland and after her death her widower husband was living in Elswick in Newcastle on the night of the 1911 census.  They were a Roman Catholic family so I think there would likely have been a RC burial at a Church somewhere in Lanchester.  In the Lanchester district, I believe there are 2 RC churches in Lanchester, 2 in Consett and 1 in Stanley.  If anyone, is going to the archives at Durham and is willing to check any of the Churches there I have mentioned for a possible burial there I would be very grateful.  Even a negative answer with regards to a burial means that I can at least cross this off the list of possible places to search.   
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass

I've attached a PDF showing all of the burials in Blackhill cemetery for McCarrolls and related surnames - no sign of Margaret. This cemetery covers all of the churches in the Consett, Blackhill and Shotley Bridge area. For elimination purposes you would need to check burials at Brooms (Leadgate) and the municipal cemetery at Stanley.

PatB.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
The youngest children of the marriage, Catherine and Sarah were born Witton Gilbert.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you pb3 and amondg.  I am so sorry for the delay in thanking you.  I thought I had all my posts responses checked.  However, I have just noticed your posts now in my new replies.  I am so ashamed and hope you will forgive me. :o

This was so kind of you to tell about the cemetery information.  Margaret's family were Roman Catholic and her father's death was in the Brooms RC Church records.  My great Grandfather was also married at this RC Church at Brooms.  If there is a cemetery at Brooms perhaps I could try checking the records there.  I have noticed that some of the ancestors in my family tree in this family also went to Stanley.  So now I have two potential cemeteries to check.  Thank you so much for these pointers - I am truly grateful.  I am not from the Durham area but I had hoped to get back to the Durham archives again long before now,  but have been prevented by work commitments.  I am not sure exactly when I will next be able to get there because of work but hopefully when I do I will check out these two cemeteries.  I will check with the archives that they hold these cemetery records of course.  As Margaret died in 1908 I presume she would have been buried at a cemetery rather than in a Church yard. 

Yes, you are correct, amondg  these two girls do appear to have been the youngest children.

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
hi, River Tyne Lass
there is indeed a cemetery in the grounds of the church at Brooms, Leadgate, so that would be a good place to start.

cheers taffie

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for confirming this taffie01.  This will definitely be the first place to check when I can next get to Durham Archives.

Best Wishes :)

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
happy to help  :)