Author Topic: Jane Helen Black  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Helen Black
« on: Sunday 21 August 16 18:37 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor my 5 x Gt Grandfather Andrew Hyslop 1757 to 1837, he is buried in Urr Churchyard with several of his children  and his wife Jane Black.

However, several Ancestry trees have her as Jane Helen Black, some with parents Elizabeth Hannah and Robert Black.

I can't work out where this comes from, I can't find her death at Scotland's people, perhaps I am missing something. She died in 1838.

Any suggestions?
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Helen Black
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
Because she died before 1855, there will be no statutory death certificate for her. There may be a burial register for Urr on Scotland's People, but it would not mention her parents' names. As you know she died in 1838, I assume there is a gravestone which states that. There might be a mention of payment for use of the mortcloth in the kirk session accounts, but that would not mention her parents either.

Middle names were very, very rare for ordinary folk at the time when she was born. They don't start to become common until you get quite far into the 19th century, so I am dubious about the "Helen".

The best way to make some progress would be to examine the records of the baptisms of her children (if they survive). Some witnesses may be members of her family. The "traditional" naming pattern, whereby the eldest girl is called after the maternal grandmother and the second son after the maternal grandfather might help, but the pattern was not always followed.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Just as an aside, the 1797/8 farm horse tax register for Urr lists two Hyslops one after the other:

John Hislop, Mossside, 2 horses, both liable to tax, duty paid 4/-

Andrew Hislop, Holehouse, 2 horses, both liable to tax, duty paid 4/-

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
Yes there is a gravestone and the Hyslops are well documented there. Naming patterns fit in with your description, but both alleged Grandmothers called Elizabeth! Second son called Robert like Jane's alleged father.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
In case you have not seen the headstone, below is the link to the entry I created at Urr cemetery
for Andrew Hyslop & his family. Jane is mentioned only as  "Jane Black his spouse"
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=143252302

Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 August 16 14:50 BST (UK) »
No I hadn't seen this, thank you very much Matt, are you a descendant too?

I am getting no further as to where the Helen comes from, I have looked on a couple of her children's death certificates but she was plain Jane on those as well.

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Just an update, it looks like Jane Black and Andrew Hyslop are not my ancestors. Well they may well be, but not along the branch I thought, I am about to start a new post trying to track the parents of Andrew Hyslop my GGG Grandfather, so I thought I had better post an update here first in case anyone thought I had lost my memory.  :o