Author Topic: Help with Standlake parish query/brick wall  (Read 918 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Standlake parish query/brick wall
« on: Sunday 21 August 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find the origins of a Susanna who married first London clockmaker John Ebsworth some time before 1689 and then remarried Peter Crouch in 1701.

She had one sister named Eleanor who married Walter Bayne of Maryland, America and died there in 1701.

I do not know the maiden name of either sister. Marriage registers for this part of America do not survive (or Eleanor could even have married in England) and I have never been able to find Susanna's marriage to John Ebsworth.

The sisters could have been born between c1620 and 1650.

Susanna unknown/Ebsworth/Crouch died in December 1714 or January 1715 and was buried at Bunhill Fields in London on 4 January 1715 NS.

However in her will, Susanna Crouch leaves money to the poor of Stanlake [sic] in Oxon so I wonder if this is where the sisters might have came from.

I know this is all a bit of a shot in the dark but is anyone perhaps familiar with Standlake and any parish records or wills which might shed some light on these sisters?

Thank you,
Jon 

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Standlake parish query/brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 23:16 BST (UK) »

Hi Jon ...

I have checked the Standlake baptism registers for the years 1610 to 1660 (inc.).  There's only one set of possible sisters - Susan DIXON baptised in 1612, and Elinor DIXSON (sic) baptised in 1619.  Parents were Nicholas and Jane.

I have also checked the marriage and burial registers and neither sister is recorded.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 11:42 BST (UK) »

Also checked the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837) - no marriage for an Elinor/Eleanor DICKSON/DIXON/DIXSON.  Checked the same surnames for Susan/Susanna and there's a marriage for a Susanna DIXON in 1632.

What is your source for Susanna's marriage to John EBSWORTH?  Where did you find her subsequent marriage to Peter CROUCH?

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Bunhill Fields (located just north of the City of London) was particularly used by non-conformists.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 13:41 BST (UK) »
I've found Susanna's will on Ancestry. Ebsworth is the forename of two of the beneficiaries - they have different surnames. No relationships are stated for either to Susanna. One beneficiary is Katherine Priest daughter of her late husband, so it looks like peter was a widower when he married Susanna.

Katharine Crouch sp married Timothy Priest bac on 12 May 1713 at St Catherine Coleman by licence. Timothy was f the parish of St Dunstan in the East and Katharine from St Giles Cripplegate.

Apart from the Hubbard family there are quite number of beneficiaries, others might be worth tracing.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
Possible Katharine's baptism and Peter's first marriage
Catherina Crouch bapt 28 Nov 1691 at St margaret Lothbury d/o Peter and Elizabeth

Peter Crouch of St Margaret Lothbury married Elizabeth ?Bethakin? of... (can't read parish) married at St Dunstans Stepney by licence on 22 Jul 1686.

Elizabeth Crouch wife of Peter buried at St Margaret Lothbury 4 Oct 1698 (in the south side chancel)

and Elizabeth daughter of Peter Crouch buried at St Margaret Lothbury on 14 April 1697 aklso in south side chancel.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
Marriage licence for Peter Crouch and Susanna Ebsworth issued on 22 july 1701. Only transcript on FindMyPast and Ancestry.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all the looks ups and information you have given me.

I am not sure that Susan can be my Susanna as she would have been over one hundred when she died but this has certainly shut down one avenue which is great.

John Ebsworth was apprenticed in London in 1657 (he was a rather well known clockmaker) so was probably born c1643. I suspect Susanna was a similar age but not sure.

Susanna's sister Eleanor unknown/Bayne went to Maryland in America with her husband Walter Beane/Bayne in 1663. He is my ancestor but I am not sure if this Eleanor was the mother or stepmother of his daughter Edith (who married Matthew Hill and from whom I descend) or not and am trying to work this out.

Thanks a lot for the other bits and pieces people have given up and looked up too. Wonderful stuff.

Thank you,
Jon