Author Topic: Help finding Boer War relatives record.  (Read 948 times)

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding Boer War relatives record.
« on: Sunday 21 August 16 21:10 BST (UK) »
I'm looking a bit of help with the Boer War record of my grandfather Francis McCann who served in the Boer War. I think he was a Lance Corporal but not sure which Regiment he was in. I'm somewhat stymied by the fact there where two Francis McCann's who served at the same time who also lived within two streets of each other in Belfast, but were not related. Any help would be deeply appreciated with thanks in advance of any help supplied.

Regards

Mack.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Boer War relatives record.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack

FIndmypast have a record of a man enlisting in 1892. He served 14 years but not in South Africa. His parents lived in Omar St Belfast. Parents were Francis and Mary, sisters Mary and Alice.

There are 13 F McCanns listed in the Boer War medalists on Ancestry.

Ken

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ken for your reply.

The chap you mention is not the Francis I'm looking for. He is in fact the other chap I mentioned who lived a few streets away. The Francis I am looking for parents first names were called Edward and Teresa. They also moved house a lot in those days hence it is hard to pin down an address for him. His address around the time in question would be Duffy's Place or Crozier's Row in Belfast. If there was any chance you came across this.

Regards

Mack

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Been a while since I first posted on this subject. Since which I found a little more info on the Francis I seek he I am lead to understand was in the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles and was a Lance Corporal. He then served in WW1 first with the Connaught Rangers for a short while then Royal Irish Fusiliers, then around 1917 he was wounded at 3rd Ypres, to finally transfer to the Royal Engineers in 1918. He went on to serve with the Engineers after the war his service number was WR 204882 his name was Francis Edward McCann.

Sadly for me his records were lost in the WW2 burnings. But I was wondering if anyone had access to Ancestry that could look up any details on him as I don't have a credit card. Thanks in advance of any help afforded. In particular an address for him would be like gold dust for me.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 17 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Was he RC?
Did he marry Mary Ellen Gorman in 1914?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1914/09854/5578686.pdf
Wasn't in the Army at the time of marriage but was when daughter Nora was born in 1915
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01381/1567970.pdf
Address 8 Garmoyle St.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:25 GMT (UK) »
You say he went on to serve with the Royal Engineers after the war, in that case if he was still serving after 1920 his records will still  be with the MOD.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for both Sinann and Jebber for your replies they have been most helpful will start looking up more info with your suggestions.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 November 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I have had a look at the site www.angloboerwar.com and searched Royal Irish Rifles, but no-one by that name is listed as having served with them.

You can check it out if you like, select unit in the search box and then type in the regiment.  It is a very informative site for both sides of the War.  Perhaps he served with one of the other regiments ;)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I have had a look at the site www.angloboerwar.com and searched Royal Irish Rifles, but no-one by that name is listed as having served with them.

You can check it out if you like, select unit in the search box and then type in the regiment.  It is a very informative site for both sides of the War.  Perhaps he served with one of the other regiments ;)

Many thanks will look it up.