Author Topic: Mary McPherson & John Donaldson Leitholm  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McPherson & John Donaldson Leitholm
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 03:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, I gathered they could be the same person but I could at find a marriage for any of them. I have Mary's birth certificate in which I gained tonight from Scotland's people site and it says they were married in 1850 I just couldn't understand why I couldn't see a marriage for them even looking at the parish records. After gaining Neil's and Janet's/jessies death certificates I have found what their parents are called on Scotland's people but having trouble linking Neil to his parents and Janet/Jessie to hers. This is much harder than I thought 😢 I'm not very good at this, maybe I just need a bit more practice. Thanks for looking though. Kirsty

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 07:31 BST (UK) »
It becomes harder the further back you go!

I think Rosie may well be correct about Agnes Waugh. Have a look at the Scottish Indexes site and the records for Sheriff Court Paternity Cases. There is one in Duns with the pursuer Isabel Waugh, Rae Cleugh, Westruther with the other party Robert Allen, sometime servant, Mount Mill Channelkirk, formerly at Whiteburn, Westruther. The child was born 1835 and the decree was in 1839. I think this case could refer to Margaret Thomson Waugh born Westruther1835. In the 1861 census in the household of Thomas Thomson is Margaret Allen b 1836 Westruther - she is recorded as a servant but servants are not always what they seem!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
I think we do have the correct mother Isabel Waugh on the link Ev provided for the grave index ..John Thomson Waugh in memory of his wife Isabella Waugh died at Hassington 9 July 1874 age 71 years ...John Thomson 11 August 1882 age 69 years ...Agnes is with them 1841/1851/1861 ....Have just viewed the OPR birth for John and it says lawful son of Peter Donaldson and Agnes Thompson...will forward it on
Rosie

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
These servants were abit of a rebel back in the day! 😂 Just noticed your message Rosie, if you could forward that on, that'd be great. I don't know how you all find this info out. I've spent hours and sleepless nights trying to find it. Hopefully I'll be a pro one day being able to help others.

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 07 October 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
Could someone help me please?? I'm trying to find the marriage of a Janet Robertson to a Neil McPherson b Sleat married Coldstream 1850 and I can't find it anywhere! I've researched on ancestry and scotlands people and there's nothing. On their children's birth certificate is says they married Coldstream 1850 but where the evidence is I have no idea. Was wondering if someone could help me. Thank you xx