Author Topic: Henry Budge  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Budge
« on: Monday 22 August 16 07:30 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Having a hard time in finding my ancestor Henry Budge, web sites have recorded his baptism in Huntingdonshire around 1690, :-[ with great help from researches they haven't found him there or Cambridge, even on my CD's. His first marriage was to a Elizabeth? burial 21/10/1768 (widow) Henry's burial 3/12/1740 (50) both of these at Godmanchester Huntingdonshire their daughter Ann Budge 6/9/1719 Godmanchester married Robert Bird 7/10/1744 also at Godmanchester, would love to find the correct records for this family. :'(

Janet :'(

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Budge
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
There are no Henry Budge events for Bedfordshire on the IGI, which for this period is just about complete for baptisms and marriages. But you'd have been better posting it on the Huntingdonshire board.

But I see that you've posted this request twice already on the Hunts board at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702601.msg5455534#msg5455534 and http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=745038.msg5921441#msg5921441 and I really can't add to what I've already said. He didn't marry an Elizabeth in Hunts between  1701 and 1740, so presumably they married in another county.

But I'm concerned about the birthplace of their children. You say Ann was baptised in Godmanchester (what's the source for this?) yet the IGI, extracted so reliable, shows it at Glatton. And a number of other children of Henry and Elizabeth were also baptised at Glatton - Elizabeth in 1712, Henry in 1714, Thomas in 1722, Hannah in 1727, Jane in 1734, and then there's Susannah in 1725 whose parents are shown as Henry and Mary yet you listed her as a child of Henry and Elizabeth. Are there actually any baptisms at all in Godmanchester? Have you checked Glatton and Godmanchester parish registers?

Are you sure the Glatton and Godmanchester families aren't two distinct couples?  Glatton is 15 miles from Godmanchester.

If the family were from Glatton rather than Godmanchester then it's a whole new ball game, as they could easily have married in Northamptonshire if Elizabeth was from a village on the other side of the border, as the county boundary is only a mile or so from Glatton. I' d try a lookup request for the marriage on the Northants board

Small inaccuracies can have significant repercussions!

David

Which web sites record his baptism in Hunts around 1690? If you're referring to online trees most are completely unreliable. And the Budge trees on Ancestry are particularly so and should be ignored. Many show Henry born c1690 as marrying Susannah Griffin in 1736, when Elizabeth his wife was still living, whereas it looks certain that the marriage was of Henry's son Henry baptised 1714.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Bedfordshire boy, as I mentioned before I have the CD of Godmanchester and also a message from their family history Archives the children were baptised here at Godmanchester not Glatton as its stated else where, I have found other web pages wrong and if they are posted wrong in the first place people just follow this. :'( I have also had the Glatton Registers searched from a reliable source. :-[

Janet :-\

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 11:20 BST (UK) »
as I mentioned before I have the CD of Godmanchester

Not in the three threads on this subject on Rootschat, just a vague reference to "my CDs" in connection with looking for Henry's baptism.

And in March this year you were telling us that "Children Elizabeth 14/1/1712 Glatton Huntingdonshire. Ann 6/9/1719 Glatton also listed in Godmanchester". I don't follow! Are you now saying that all the children were baptised in Godmanchester and none in Glatton, in which case both the IGI and BVRI are wrong, with both of them transcribing a whole batch of Godmanchester baptisms as Glatton? Or were they baptised in a combination of Godmanchester and Glatton - although I find it hard to believe that Ann was baptised in both places 16 miles apart on the same day.

Can you list for us the baptisms that are shown in your CDrom of Godmanchester, and what the reliable source found in the Glatton parish register

Totally confused!

David

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 23:28 BST (UK) »
Morning Bedfordshire boy, I am not confused now that I have checked the CD. 14/1/1712 Elizabeth, 7/1/1714 Henry, 14/4/1717 William, 6/9/1719 Anne, 19/2/1722 Thomas, 21/6/1725 Susannah all baptisms listed on the Godmanchester CD. The Glatton Parish was listed by another researcher on the WEB under Henry Budge when I googled, I can't locate this person, but I have received help from the Huntingdon Archives that the baptisms are not listed in Glatton Parish. ???

Janet :-X

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
Coming back to your queries:
- marriage Henry Budge & Elizabeth. Not on Hunts marriage index so not in Hunts, so could have been anywhere in the country, but if you haven't checked Northants that where I'd look next.
- Henry Budge's baptism. You say not in Godmanchester so could have been anywhere in the country. There is no Hunts baptism index and there are plenty of parishes which aren't online. You may have to revert to to the pre computer method of genealogy - check parish registers working outwards from Godmanchester; not easy when many in Hunts haven't been filmed or transcribed.

David

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 16 05:11 BST (UK) »
Afternoon Bedfordshire boy thanks for your help had computer trouble for a week, now I have a lot of catching up with messages. :-[

Janet :-\