Author Topic: Missing Father!  (Read 534 times)

Offline Gurslad

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Missing Father!
« on: Monday 22 August 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I have a real poser here about my real father. I'm 71 now and found out 50+ years ago that the man on my birth certificate was not my biological father. I met my wife 50 years ago, we married and have 3 daughters, and they were and are my priority so did not bother looking. A few months ago my youngest daughter who is now 43 said you should look, so that my daughters and grandchildren knew who they were related to. I have an older sister who lives by me and I've never wanted to bother her or upset her, but plucked up courage and had a long talk with her.
She told me knew my father and his name, but at 11 years old at the time she didn't take any notice. As far as we can make out he was at a USA Military Hospital in Wiltshire, but we don't know if he was an American as he was called Jock, so maybe Scottish. Also he had red hair (Ginger) and a beard.
I was also shocked finding out that my mother's sister who was married had a son by another person and was put up for adoption. I know this is correct as my aunt was ill in hospital and had a letter and got her daughter my cousin to read it; it was from the child who she had adopted. She got very upset and begged my cousin not to tell anyone which she didn't until she told me a couple of months ago. My aunt died in the late 80s, but she can't remember the address on the letter as it was destroyed.
Back to my sister, she told me that my aunt had a daughter by an American, who was at the same location as Jock. Sadly my cousin died when she was 38, but her sister found her birth certificate a few months ago with no father entered. Whether her sister knew about her father we don't know, she was married and had two daughters. My aunt had 2 children who died at birth in the 1940s.
My mother died in the 80s and would have been 108 this year, so I would think Jock would have died also. But maybe he was a soldier and died in WW2. I don't know.
I've been researching my tree since the 1980s and have 5000+ in it, so I have a bit of experience at researching.
Anyone got any idea how I would get info on Jock?
Wiltshire - Middleton - Pounds - Watts etc
Berkshire - Yates-Tame
Staffordshire- Yates
Gloucestershire - White-Holtham-Jones-Morse
London Area- Whitney

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Father!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
Was your mum working at the military hospital when she met Jock?  Is there anyway you can trace her job and location to narrow down which hospital it was?  If so, you might be able to work out if any admission registers still exist.

Offline Gurslad

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Father!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Spidermonkey. At the moment I don't know if she was working, when I was born(1945) she had two daughters aged 15 & 11. Their father was in Burma when I was born, I can only talk to my one sister as our older sister died in 2011.
This is another good one the hospital was the US 347th Hospital Station situated on Marlborough Common it closed in June 1945. I was born Februay 1945 and where did we live, in the old Hospital huts on the common!. We lived there until I was 5, I was born at my aunts house about a mile away.God if only that house could talk, even the boy who was adopted was born there and my gran died in the room I was born in as well!.
Jim
Wiltshire - Middleton - Pounds - Watts etc
Berkshire - Yates-Tame
Staffordshire- Yates
Gloucestershire - White-Holtham-Jones-Morse
London Area- Whitney