Author Topic: Donald Clark 1785-1853 and spouse Jane Campbell birth about 1785  (Read 5011 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Clark 1785-1853 and spouse Jane Campbell birth about 1785
« on: Monday 22 August 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am searching for 2nd great grandparents

Donald Clark

Birth ABOUT 1785 • Inverness-shire, Scotland

Death 15 SEP 1853 • Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland

Spouse

Jane Campbell born about 1785

His occupation was schoolmaster and he may have been an elder in the Presbyterian church as here several generations before him.

They had several children.  Several are confirmed by family records or other online files.  Some are based on baptisms in the right place (Petty) and same parent names.

William Clark 1807–1874 (died in London, Ontario, Canada)

James Clark 1809–

Thomas Clark 1811–1891 (Died in Huron County Ontario, Canada) 
    He was listed as a baker and also a widower at time of death.  Possibly came to be with sister after spouse passed in Scotland ????

Jane Clark 1815–

Lydia Clark 1817–

Anne Clark 1819–

Donald Clark 1821–

Janet "Jessie" Clark 1828–1903 (died in Huron county, Ontario, Canada) She appears to have arrived in about 1854 from Scotland.  She is my great grandmother

Elizabeth S. Clark 1830–

Isabella Clark 1832–

There could be other children

Given that Donald Clark 1785 was reported to have been a schoolmaster for over 50 years according to a partial newspaper article I found, It would seem he would have been known and mentioned in articles in the area.

Family photos have two images of a woman taken by a J. Nichol, Photographer, Nairn.  Sadly there is no name on either image.

Wondering if any of above names might be found.

Regards

D McAdams
London, ON Canada
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Clark 1785-1853 and spouse Jane Campbell birth about 178
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
I am searching for 2nd great grandparents

Donald Clark

Birth ABOUT 1785 • Inverness-shire, Scotland

Death 15 SEP 1853 • Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland

Spouse

Jane Campbell born about 1785

His occupation was schoolmaster and he may have been an elder in the Presbyterian church as here several generations before him.

They had several children.  Several are confirmed by family records or other online files.  Some are based on baptisms in the right place (Petty) and same parent names.

William Clark 1807–1874 (died in London, Ontario, Canada)

James Clark 1809–

Thomas Clark 1811–1891 (Died in Huron County Ontario, Canada) 
    He was listed as a baker and also a widower at time of death.  Possibly came to be with sister after spouse passed in Scotland ????

Jane Clark 1815–

Lydia Clark 1817–

Anne Clark 1819–

Donald Clark 1821–

Janet "Jessie" Clark 1828–1903 (died in Huron county, Ontario, Canada) She appears to have arrived in about 1854 from Scotland.  She is my great grandmother

Elizabeth S. Clark 1830–

Isabella Clark 1832–

There could be other children

Given that Donald Clark 1785 was reported to have been a schoolmaster for over 50 years according to a partial newspaper article I found, It would seem he would have been known and mentioned in articles in the area.

Family photos have two images of a woman taken by a J. Nichol, Photographer, Nairn.  Sadly there is no name on either image.

Wondering if any of above names might be found.

Regards

D McAdams
London, ON Canada

There are monumental inscriptions available re. the Cemetery at Petty Church, by Inverness - if they might help.  There is a paper version from the Highland Family History Society of Old Churchyard, Petty at  http://www.highlandfamilyhistorysociety.org/HFHSMonumentalInscriptions.htm

or I see there is a pdf version from http://www.scottish-monumental-inscriptions.com/inverness-shire-churchyards?product_id=421..... although have just noticed, this may be for the newer stones.

Maybe you have looked through these already? 
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Clark 1785-1853 and spouse Jane Campbell birth about 1785
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 16 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Have you looked at the Wills section on Scotlandspeople website ?
Donald Clark , Schoolmaster of Parish of Petty , date 14th Jan. 1854.(SC29/44/8)

It doesn't state what kind of record it is but there are 3 pages.(10 credits required to view).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 16 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi D,

You mention newspaper articles, so have possibly already seen these.  I notice that daughter, Jane, is given as the second eldest daughter.  There is another article, something to do with probate, dated 18 Jan 1854, giving Donald’s widow; Jane Campbell’s address as Balnallan, parish of Petty.

ENROLMENT OF VOTERS
Persons entitled to be enrolled as VOTERS in the COUNTY, upon possessions situated within the PARISH of INVERNESS, will receive forms of Claims of Enrolment, and Objections to proposed Enrolments, upon application to me at this office.  I will likewise receive back at this Office, the Claims and Objections then filled up and returned in terms of the Statute.
DONALD CLARK, Parish Schoolmaster in PETTY
Sheriff Clerk’s Office, Inverness 7th August 1832
Inverness Courier 8 Aug 1832

DEATH
At Petty, on the 15th instant, DONALD CLARK, Schoolmaster, aged 75 years, and fifty three years Schoolmaster in the parish of Petty
Inverness Courier 22 Sep 1853

MARRIAGE
By the Rev. M. Hickey, Episcopal Methodist Minister, in the city of Port Huron, Michigan, and at his residence, on the 10th ult., THOMAS PARTRIDGE, Sen Esq., of the city of London, Canada West to JANE, second daughter of the late Mr Donald Clark, Parochial Schoolmaster of Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland
Inverness Courier 17 Mar 1859
Also published in the Banffshire Journal, Nairnshire Telegraph & Elgin Courier

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 August 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
Great info!  This has led me to some new discoveries and the fact that more Clarks ended up in Canada around London, ON. 

Thank you for the quick replies

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Scottish census shows more children:

1841: Address: Petty Schoolhouse
Donald Clark / 60
Jane Clark / 52
Johanna / 25
Lydia / 23
Ann / 21
Charles / 15 (born 11 Aug 1824; bpt 18 Aug 1824 Petty)
Janet / 13
Betty / 11
Isabella / 9

1851: Address: Petty Schoolhouse
Donald & Jane as above with daughters:
Johanna / 38
Jean / 35
Isabella / 18

One online tree has a published obituary for William Clark who died in 1874, stating that he arrived in Canada in 1833.  A*try records also show two Clarks in Canada, born in Petty about 1780.  Possible siblings of Donald senior?  There is also an Ontario death for a Mrs. Jane Clark in 1869 who was born in the parish of Petty, Scotland.  Could it be that William went out in 1833 with his mother and siblings joining him after Donald’s death?

Unfortunately, I am unable to open Canadian records from this site

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 September 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks all!  I have added a few bits of the puzzle.  Would anyone have access to a marriage record for Donald Clark and Jane Campbell.  Being in Canada, my access is limited.  I now believe, based on census data, that Jane Campbell was bit younger than Donald and possibly born about 1789.  A marriage document would really help to identify a proper birth year and possibly parents which could lead to a baptism document.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.  It has added much.

Dave

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 September 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks all!  I have added a few bits of the puzzle.  Would anyone have access to a marriage record for Donald Clark and Jane Campbell.  Being in Canada, my access is limited.  I now believe, based on census data, that Jane Campbell was bit younger than Donald and possibly born about 1789.  A marriage document would really help to identify a proper birth year and possibly parents which could lead to a baptism document.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.  It has added much.

Dave

Hi Dave -
Married 1806, June 16th.  If you PM your email address I will send you the original.  No ages on it though as its pre the 1855 records (which have lots of info on them).
Cheers
Lynn
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)