Author Topic: Phillips of the Parish of St Nicholas - circa 1790's  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Phillips of the Parish of St Nicholas - circa 1790's
« on: Monday 22 August 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am new here and hoping for some guidance, I am researching my surname "Phillips" and have been able to trace back to a Thomas Phillips (b. 1796), I believe he was born in the Parish of St Nicholas (nr Fishguard). So far I think I know that his son's name was William Phillips (my 3rd Great Grandfather) who was also born in the Parish of St Nicholas around 1826. I am struggling to find out Thomas's Wife's name (Williams Mother). I am also struggling to find any further information on Thomas Phillips. I know that Thomas is the father of William as I have a copy of William marriage certificate (he marries an Ann Davies, also from the Parish of St Nicholas). Is there anyone else researching the Phillips family of St Nicholas or anyone else who has come across this name?

When did the Welsh adopt 'Surnames' as they are today, based on the year, could Thomas's father be Phillip ap 'a name'?

Thanks for any help,

Gavin

Offline robo196

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of the Parish of St Nicholas - circa 1790's
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 16 23:07 BST (UK) »
Firstly,welcome to Rootschat

There are two records on FreeReg that look as if they could be linked

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i9y/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i9z/

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 August 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
If I have the right parents there may be up to seven siblings based on the following:-

FreeReg records for
Eliza(1818),James(1820),Martha(1829),Ann(1832),Mary(1834)

and if this is the correct family on the 1841 census

HO107 1444 24 10 14

there appears to be a Thomas and Sarah as well,though I can't immediately see a baptism(prhaps post 1837 records).

From what you know,does any of this seem probable?

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 02:40 BST (UK) »
The 1857 marriage of William to Ann Davies has a William Bowen as witness,which adds credence to the 1818 marriage being correct,and there is a likely(?) William Bowen on the same page as Thomas and Ann  Phillip(s) in the 1861 census.

Regards
Roger

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 06:48 BST (UK) »
This is perfect, thanks Roger :) . I did come across a Martha Phillips who was a sister to William, but I had not found anyone else. From your experience, is it normal for a surname such as Phillip to change around this time to Phillips?

As for Thomas Phillips (Phillip), is it unlikely to find is birth and parents on the internet? This probably requires a visit to the Records Office in Haverfordwest.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 07:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure there is a norm,but I'm certainly not surprised at such a change.It may be possible to find further evidence of Thomas,but I would say there is an increasing possibility of patronymics coming into  play with this earlier generation making things much more difficult.Given the form of the name I did wonder if it was still the case with William,though the evidence appears to be cumulating that the analysis is correct so far,but I would never say it is cast iron.
I'll see what  can find.
Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 08:25 BST (UK) »
At The National Library of Wales(NLW) there is an 1847 will of an Owen Bowen of Tregeddylan,Saint Nicholas,which specifically mentions Anne Phillips(note final "s"),wife of Thomas Phillips.I haven't looked at the detail to see if I can work out a relationship,I have to go out shortly.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ia4/

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
There are two other wills for the same location,a probable married couple,who combined with death records are Owen Bowen(1757-1837) and his wife Martha(1766-1846).John Bowen(circa 1801) is a beneficiary of Martha's will and is in residence in 1851 with wife Dinah(HO107 2480 13 19).
The suspicion is that John,Owen (jnr) and Ann are siblings.

Interestingly the next entry in the burials register to Owen Bowen(snr) is for a William Phillips (c.1754-1838) of Saint Nicholas.A reasonable candidate for Thomas' father?Again,I will see what I can find unless you would prefer to search yourself.

Regards
Roger