Author Topic: Phillips of the Parish of St Nicholas - circa 1790's  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of the Parish of St Nicholas - circa 1790's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help Roger, I felt like I hit a brick wall so please if you can dig further, I'd be interested to find out what you can find.

William Phillips (b. 1754) could be the father of Thomas. From a young age I have always been told by my father and grandfather that the name 'William' has been passed down through my paternal line. My middle name is William too, like my father. Whether this helps, I'm not sure.

Thanks
Gavin

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 19:59 BST (UK) »
You may already know,but the family have a number of non conformist baptisms registered at Rhosycaerau.The records for baptisms at this locality start at 1775 and all the Phil*ip* variants are here(FamilySearch Batch Number C086871)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iac/

Perhaps an analysis of when the first from Thomas family is registered might indicate a move to the location,as it is not obvious to me,as yet,that Thomas was from there.Perhaps it might be worth doing a search of this batch with Phil*ip as a Christian name.

Regards
Roger

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
It is worth reading this about patronymics,  also to note Familysearch has an arbitrary cut off of 1812
In their indexing of names
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Wales_Names,_Personal

Mike

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Having undertaken the first half of the analysis I suggested,I found that all of Thomas's children from Elizabeth in 1818 to Mary in 1834 were there!Still looking for Thomas' birth/baptism.

Regards
Roger

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
That's great Roger, I too have looked for Thomas and very difficult to find a record. I went to the Church in St Nicholas yesterday to hopefully find some leads. I found the grave of Owen Bowen (died 1837). I also found 2 graves with the surname Phillips, however, they were not names from my direct paternal line. I should add that it seems as though there were many gravestones missing from across the graveyard.

I hope to visit the Chapel at Rhos y Caerau soon but this won't be until at least after next week. Hopefully, I will find more Phillips there or even possibly some Phillip too.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
Can you please let me know the names which are not of your direct paternal line,so that I don't follow any false leads.I am trying a different angle at the moment,which I will post later-I hope it doesn't relate to the above.

Regards
Roger

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Yes sure, the 2 graves at the cemetery were John Phillips (died 29 May 1859 - age 25) and next to him was Mariah Phillips (died 17 Dec 1868 - age 70).

From my research, my direct paternal line is William Phillips (b. 1826) and his father Thomas.

I have also found this: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M78P-93J

However I am unsure about the transcribed birthplace - Carew - on looking at the same census on Ancestry I do not think that it says Carew.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
I think it probably says Pb Shire,Cairew-I can't make it into Rhosycaerau.

I wondered if there might be a sibling of Thomas,who might lead to a father and back to him.
The most likely candidate is a Martha Phillips with a marriage in 1816 to a David Devonald(or similar),with a Thomas Phillip as witness(brother and sister?/family name)
This couple can be traced in the censuses where Martha is given as born 1794-1796(consistent with a sibling),born Granston or St Nicholas.
Unfortunately I can't find any Granston baptisms(non-con or other).The nearest is for a Maria at Rhosycaerau in 1793,but the Mariah  you have may be her if not married(?),a patronymic,born to a Phillip David and Ann(who both die 1826/27 at a place I can't trace-something like Maesygwnffrwd(?)

Regards
Roger

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. I may have found the place name you question - Maes-y-gwmffurt - see the attachment (from http://maps.nls.uk/view/102187959).

I will need to take a visit to both Granston Church and Rhosycaerau Chapel to look at the gravestones. Thank you so much for your detailed research into this name for me. I very much appreciate your help. I may pay a bit more attention to Owen Bowen and see what I can found out about him and his family after him.

Thanks
Gavin