Author Topic: Indexing?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline xanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Indexing?
« on: Tuesday 23 August 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Over several years, I've had an enormous amount of help from Rootschat members and it's one of my favourite genealogy websites.
But how much more useful would it be if there were a surname index! There are so many messages now (both live and completed) that it's simply impractical to browse them all. But I'm sure there are some hidden gems of information that I'm missing.
I don't think an index could be created retrospectively because you would need a separate surname field, but would it be totally impossible to introduce the practice in the future?
Xanthe

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Indexing?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Xanthe,

I use the search box at the top of RootsChat. If you are searching for a name like "Mary Jones" and there are too many you can narrow it down to specific areas by using the advanced search.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Indexing?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Xanthe, if you scroll right down to the bottom of the page, you will see "Your Tools" , and under that "Surname Interests".  If you select that, you can see the interests of other members, and also enter your own.

You can also add your surnames and areas to your profile in your page settings. They will show permanently on the bottom of all your posts, as are mine on this post!  I'm always looking at surnames on other peoples posts, in the hope that I might find someone else researching one of my families.

The search box Sarah mentions is a great tool too.  😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections